- Personal Finance»
11 Tips for Filing an Insurance Claim
Insurance claims management is can be a treacherous process that can take time and a knowledge of how insurance company negotiations work. However, that doesn’t mean that working through the insurance claims process is an impossible task. There are many companies that have dependable insurance claims specialists who can help you get the settlement you deserve after a disaster.
However, as you enter the insurance claims settlement process, there are a number of steps you should take. So, keep these tips in mind.
- Work with an insurance claim adjuster who has years of experience. Be sure they know how your policy is worded so that they can proceed accordingly.
- Make sure that you understand how your policy works and what things are covered, and for how much.
- Be proactive in the process. Be sure to ask questions and let your claims adjuster know what you need.
- Remember that when going through the insurance claims process, that it is much like a business negotiation, and that sometimes you have to concede on one item in order to gain one another.
- Document and support your claim with proof, details, and estimates.
- Be sure present, in writing, clear requests, expectations of needs, when they are needed and why you should have them.
- Do not pad your claim; keep to the facts of what happened.
- Never sign anything regarding your claim without talking to an insurance claims adjuster and ensuring that the stated items are what you need or have requested.
- When possible, get the settlement handled via paperwork/ written documents rather than dealing with the court system.
- Don’t wait to file a claim. If you wait too long then you may not be eligible for the full benefits – in some cases, the waiting can make the problem(s) worst.
- In the event of a vehicular accident or an act of crime, be sure that you have a copy of the police report.
These actions will make it easier to go from dealing with a disaster to moving forward. Your claims adjuster will know what type of questions to ask and steps to take so that you can begin again. By working with a pro, you can be certain that you won’t be taken advantage of by a company only interested in protecting their assets.
Going through the insurance claims process does not have to be a frightening endeavor. Yes, it will take time, but with from pros such as though from Norcia and other companies, you can soon get the money you deserve. Don’t let despair and disaster get you down. Take action now to get back on the road to pursuing your dreams.
Many websites provide additional information on the topic of insurance claims managment One such site worth visiting is http://www.insuredsadvocate.com/
Janet Slagell independently authors articles for WebDrafter.com, Inc. for search engine marketing. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author, and not of any other person, company or organization. No guarantee or warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, fitness, or use of the content herein.