ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

2009 Individual Tax Returns: Extensions

Updated on March 8, 2010

Still No Relation

How time flies. It seems like only yesterday that we were wrapping up 2009, getting all our tax documents together and preparing to start a new and exciting year. How quickly the tax deadline comes, only 5 short weeks to the dreaded April 15 deadline. Are you ready? Made all your IRA contributions? Gathered all your W-2 and 1099's? No? Then maybe you should consider filing an extension.

Each year, millions of Americans file a personal extension for their income taxes, when for one reason or another, they know they just aren't going to get it done. The process is simple, but you should make sure you dot your i's and cross your t's or you;ll be getting a nasty, nasty note from our brothers and sisters at the IRS? So what are some of the important points to successful filing? The most important is probably, "What form do I use?" and the answer, for individual filers, is the 4868.But you don't have to use a paper form. Through the IRS Free File program, you can file the form online at no charge. And if you have a personal preparer, or use home software to file, they can also file the form for you and have your payment charged to your credit card.

The next thing to know is the deadline. It's easy to remember: April 15, same as the filing date for your 1040, though you'd be well advised not to wait until then. And what will you get in exchange? Six more months from the normal filing deadline in which to file your tax return, though you should know that if you are requesting an extension because your out of the country, you only get four months. For the typical taxpayer, using a regular calendar year, that makes the new deadline October 15, 2010, or August 15, if your out of town.

So what's the problem? Why shouldn't everyone do this? After all you take 10 minutes to fill out the form (you can even do it online!) and in exchange you get 6 more months to pay your taxes! Well, know, that's where people get it wrong. What you are really getting is an extension for filing the paperwork. You still have to estimate the amount of tax you expect to owe and send in payment. And the Service really encourages you to send at least part of the payment when you file your extension. Otherwise, the government will charge you interest for each day you fail to pay after the regular filing date, even if you file the extension! Even if you get the payment in by October 15, the end of the extension, you still have to pay the interest that's accrued. 

And what if your estimate is wrong? Then you can be stuck paying penalties and fines in addition to the interest! And if the IRS feels your reason for the extension isn't good enough? That's right, more fees. While many people do file the extension, and often they have very good reasons for it, you really are better off filing on time, and paying your tax up-front. It can be cheaper in the long run.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)