35 Ways to Earn Money on the Side
Me teaching English online
If English is your native language and you have a Bachelor’s degree, you can apply to teach English to Chinese kids for DadaABC in your off-hours. VIPKids is another company with a good reputation. They do all the training and provide lessons. I’ve been teaching with DadaABC a couple hours a week for a few months now and it’s a nice side income.
- If you like a more flexible schedule, you can also tutor on Cambly, with adults all around the world. You can log on pretty much any time and converse with people, or go through lessons that are provided, to help them learn. It’s a blast.
Teach anything at all, online, at TakeLessons.
If you have good telephone skills . . . consider working part time as a customer service representative. ARISE is a good platform to connect with companies that allow you to work as a customer service representative from home. I connected through the platform with a Canadian company called ACME, but there are a number of other options. Income ranges from minimum wage up to much higher, depending on the product/company you are working for.
Teach anything at all, online, at TakeLessons.com
Get paid as a Mystery Shopper
10 More Ideas
- Some people do voiceovers and audio book narration at Audiobook Creative Exchange.
- Work small projects on your own time as an assistant for a company like Fancyhands.
- Pick up a few hours working at your local thrift store: you’ll earn a few dollars and be the first to see new inventory as it comes in.
- Work a few hours at a restaurant and have access to free or discounted meals.
- Have a garage sale. DVDs, CDs and books can sometimes go for a good price.
- Log onto the Ipsos Panel and get cash for surveys.
- User Testing is another online survey site that rewards its members for giving their opinions on marketing tactics and products.
- Get paid to as a mystery shopper to go into businesses in your area and report your experiences.
- Sell your books and textbooks by scanning ISP codes onto the BookScouter app.
- Earn rewards points by taking quizzes on topics like ports, history, music and more with the QuizXT app.
Work a few hours at a restaurant and have access to free or discounted meals.
- You can also connect on Zaarly offering services like walking a dog, being a personal assistant for a day, or giving guitar lessons.
- If you have a talent for design, it may be worth trying to make some money designing logos for small business or blogs.
- Ask around locally and provide a typing or word processing service.
- Sell on Ebay.
- If you are good at selling items, especially on eBay, you can offer services to other people to sell their items for them. This is generally a commission-based job with rates between 30 and 50 percent of the net profit on the item.
- Set up passive income streams. No enterprise is truly "passive"; all require work at least up front, but the point is to put in that initial effort and then let it keep working for you, year after year, with minimal effort. Examples include online courses, real estate, renting out space, and even "drip-posting" for your regular blog or facebook page.
- Work at summer camps for money between school terms.
- Write an ebook and post to Amazon or on your own website.
- Are you a musician? Sell stock music. Start at Audiojungle to get your start.
- Send your junk mail and email to the Small Business Knowledge Center for gift card rewards.
What about you?
What's your experience working a side gig?
- You can find search engine evaluator jobs through Lionbridge. You’ll take a qualifying test, and some companies also conduct a phone interview. Once you’re accepted, you can set your own schedule and work as much or little as you want.
- You can make money by evaluating websites . . .
- Provide social media blogging services . . .
- Or do online piecework for sites like Amazon Turk or Gigwalk.
- Android users can respond to a survey from Google surveys and receive up to $1 in Play credits, but the credits vary, depending on the survey.
- Share snapshots of your consumer activity and earn extra cash with Iconzoomer.
- Are you a clothes horse? You can sell your nicely made clothes to ThredUp, which will pay anywhere from $2-$25 for items from Gap, Banana Republic, J.Crew, and others.
- WeGoLook is another option to get paid to do leg work by inspecting something or performing a task.
- You can sell your photos. Sites looking to buy digital stock photos include Bigstock, Shutterstock and Dreamstime.
- Do odd jobs locally and advertise on local sites, Kijji or Craigslist.
BONUS: 8 Ways to let your house earn money!
- If you are buying a house, buy a run-down house in a nice area, move in, fix it up and sell it for a profit . . .
or . . . buy a duplex, rent out half and live in the other half.
If you have a house, rent out a room or a floor
. . . or . . . open a bed-and-breakfast . . .
or . . . partner with a company like AirBnb to rent out bedroom space.
If you have a condominium or an apartment, rent out the parking space. If you can, get by on transit, car-share and/or carpooling options (we do this) . . .
or . . . rent out the storage area. (We do this too.)
- Take in students. Provide a welcoming home and a meal or two per day, and get paid for your hospitality.