- Personal Finance
5 Invaluable Tips for Choosing the Right Travel Credit Card
Choosing the Right Travel Credit Card
By choosing the right travel credit card, you can easily make your vacations enjoyable and stress-free. These days, renowned credit card companies are offering all sorts of rewards and benefits in a bid to allure the customers. For instance, American Express is giving away 50,000 reward points to every new Platinum cardholder. Likewise, with British Airways Visa Signature card, you get 50,000 miles free if you’re able to spend $2,500 within the first three months after you’re approved. Thus, it is the best time to get a new credit card. However, before signing on the dotted line, it is essential to do your homework and consider a few important things. The following tips will certainly help you in choosing the right travel credit card.
- Annual fee- Sometimes it is not good enough to opt for a card with low or no annual fee. Such cards are usually devoid of tangible benefits. By paying a small annual fee, you can certainly perk up your travel experience. For example, in the case of Chase-United Mileage Plus Explorer card, you have to pay only $95 each year to get 40,000 bonus miles and priority boarding privileges. Additionally, in United operated flights, you can also check-in your first bag free of cost and thereby save up to $50.
- Transaction fee- Another important factor that you should essentially take into account while choosing the right travel credit card is the transaction fee. If you’re a frequent traveler then even 2 to 3 percent transaction charges can burn a big hole in your wallet.For instance, if you spend $70,000 each year on travel, then for 3 percent transaction fee you would be spending $2,100 per annum, which is not a small amount. Read the terms and conditions carefully prior to making a switch over.
- Signing Bonus- It is advisable not to get allured by the sign up bonuses. They are typically valid for a limited period of time, and to avail them you usually have to make significant purchases. Pay attention to the fine print to ascertain whether the sign up bonus is actually beneficial for you or not.
- Insurance- Insurance is a matter of grave concern for a traveler. For this reason, it is exceedingly important to pick up a travel credit card that provides a wide range of insurance benefits. Well-known companies like American Express and Barclaycard cover baggage loss, car rental damage, roadside assistance, legal expenses, emergency medical costs, and evacuation and repatriation expenses. Don’t forget to take a look at the fees before choosing the travel credit card.
- Technical aspects- In the past, credit cards with magnetic stripe were acceptable all across the world, but nowadays, cards with embedded chips and pin are more prevalent. While choosing the right travel credit card, make sure that the technology used in the card is up to standard.