- Personal Finance»
- Frugal Living
50 Frugal Ways to Reuse Common Household Items
I admit that I hate to throw things away. I always find a new ways to use items. So, look around your house and you will be amazed to see how many things you have found which once dismissed as useless. common household
Here are 50 Frugal Ways to use Common House Hold Items for Uncommon Uses.
1. If your hands burn and sting after handling hot peppers pour rubbing alcohol over them.
2. Keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol handy to shine chrome fixtures and to remove hair spray from the mirror.
3. Remove the top and one side from a cardboard box, line the other three sides with aluminum foil. Place plants in the box and set it near a window the foil will reflect light helping the stems to grow straight instead of bent toward the sun.
4. Instead of a pastry bag, use a tube of heavy duty aluminum foil with free flowing frosting to decorate your cake.
5. When laundering sheets, towels and clothes remove absorbed body oils by adding one cup of ammonia to the usual amount of laundry detergent. Do not use ammonia with chlorine bleach.
6. Store stamps in Aspirin tins to avoid from sticking together.
7. If you have an old baking pan, cut out one side with a saw to make a dustpan. If you want a handle, drill two holes through the opposite side and bolt on to an old broomstick.
8. To add softness and luster to your pet`s coat, put two tablespoon of baking soda in its bathwater. Baking soda also works well as a dry shampoo for your dogs and cats.
9. A paste of baking soda and water will ease the discomfort of bee sting.
10. You can use balloons as a party invitation. First inflate brightly colored balloons, then write out your invitation massage very carefully using contrasting felt tip pen. Now deflates the balloons, put them in envelopes, seal and mail to your guests. In order to read your massage, they have to re inflate them.
11. Do you know that banana peel works as fertilizer? Okay, bury peels no more than one inch deep around rose bushes. If you have more banana peels add them to your garden`s compost pile. They are an excellent source of potassium and phosphorus.
12. Use banana peel to shine your leather shoes in an emergency by rubbing with the inside of the peel. Then clean and buff with as paper towel or napkin.
13. Do not throw old bar stool, it can be used as a cage for the tomato plant to support them better. Remove the seat and push the legs in to the soil and wrap them with strong twine. This will be perfect for a small tomato plants.
14. Dip the berry basket mesh in to a soap bubble solution and wave it in the air to make clouds of bubbles for the kids.
16. Use your old boots to keep your just caught fresh fish and bring them home from the river in a water filled boot.
17. Blend one part of borax with six parts of cat litter to reduce odor in the litter box.
18. Rinse your fine china set in a sink full of warm water with half cup of borax, then rinse in clean water. This will give your china set a brilliant shine.
19. A good way to clean velvet flowers is to brush them with a shaving brush and rub them lightly with rye bread then re brush.
20. Pick up a broken glass with a piece of bread.
21. Glue bubble pack to inside walls of the dog house to keep inside warm on chilly nights.
22. Bubble pack could be a great Halloween costume. You can turn your little one in a space man or Mr. Bubble man by wrapping bubble pack around their arm, legs and trunk.
23. Take apart an old calendar and use its pages to line your desk drawers. Use the pages from beautifully illustrated calendars as place mats when setting the table for a special party.
24. Drip melted wax on to hard boiled Easter eggs and then dye. Peel off the wax to reveal pattern. Also use candles to reseal an envelope with a few drops of melted wax from lighted candles.
25. Remove the label from an empty can, punch holes in the sides, and place a candle in the bottom and light. You can use citronella to help control the bugs.
26. Remove both ends of can and push the can into the earth as a collar to protect young garden plants from cut worms.
27. Use cat litter to fill stuff doll, toys and bean bags.
28. Cat litter also removes unpleasant smell of garbage can.
29. Scatter powdered chalk around garden plants to repel ants and slugs.
30. Use castor oil as an eye cream at night. Rub odorless castor oil all around the eye area.
31. Use well chewed chewing gum to fill a crack in a wall or a clay flowerpot. Also it will seal punctures in garden hoses.
32. Coffee grounds works as a fertilizer when you use it in to the topsoil in your garden.
33. Use your old comb as a nail holder to avoid hammering your fingers. Hold a small nail in place between the teeth of a comb.
34. Mix a little corn starch with ammonia and water to clean and polish your windows.
35. Sprinkle cornstarch inside your rubber gloves, they will be much easier to put it on and take off.
36. Clean your finger nails with a credit card. How about use it to scrape frost from your windshield.
37. Place a bowl of water and dishwashing detergents detergent a few inches below a light bulb. The heat will attract the fleas, which will fall off the bulb in to water and drown.
38. Use egg cartons to hold paper clips, rubber bands, and other small items by removing the top of the carton.
39. Sprinkle crushed eggshells around garden plants as fertilizer to get rid of slugs.
40. Use rubber erasers to clean finger marks from the piano keys. Choose a size that fits easily between the black keys and gets in to all the corners. For extra tough spots, wrap the eraser with a cloth soaked in cleaning fluid.
41. Apply eyedroppers to dye and decorate Easter eggs.
42. When you are not using your outdoor barbecue grill cover it with big plastic garbage bag.
43. Write a massage on a piece of paper with lemon or onion juice and make it invisible by setting hair dryer on low heat. To make the writing visible again, set the hair dryer on high heat.
44. To convert a window box in to a mini green house, bend three or four small pieces of un used hanger in to U`s shape and place the end in to the soil. Punch dry cleaner bag, wrap around the box and place in bright light.
45. Use empty milk carton to a bird feeder. Combine melted suet and birdseed, pour in to a carton and insert a loop of string in to the mixture. After it hardens tear away the carton and hang from a branch.
46. Cut off the top and the bottom of the empty milk carton and push into the ground around tomatoes and peppers to avoid cutworms and grubs.
47. Seal letters with a dab of clear fingernail polish. It does not need warming in a flame and it sticks just as well as wax.
48. When you are repairing broken china set or any other pottery, hold the pieces together on a bed of modeling clay until the glue sets, when dry remove the clay.
49. Use petroleum jelly to ease rolling and eliminate squeaking, lubricate the axles of TV stand, wagon, roller-skate wheels. Squeaking sound will be gone.
50. Make plastic trash bag in to apron. Cut one inch off the bottom of a plastic trash bag and put it over your head, slipping your arms through the handles.