- Personal Finance»
- Banks, S&L's, Credit Unions
BII Bank Online and Mobile Banking Account Review
Intro & History
Bank International Indonesia or BII in short was established in May 1959. BII has grown become Indonesia’s ninth largest banks. In 30 September 2008, Maybank was completing the deal to purchase the BII stake from Sorak consortium. The consortium consists of Singapore's Temasek Holdings and South Korea's Kookmin Bank. Maybank then becomes the majority shareholder with a 97.52% equity stake in BII.
BII has grown rapidly in Indonesia with 303 branch offices, 893 ATM and 15 CDM (Cash Deposit Machine), and is connected with more than 200.000 ATM in the Network, such as ATM Prima, ATM Bersama, ALTO, CIRRUS, as well as Malaysian’s MEPS Network. BII is also connected with more than 2.800 Maybank’s ATM in Malaysia and Singapore, and as well having the foreign branch offices in Mauritius, Mumbai and Cayman Islands.
BII (Bank International Indonesia) Swift Code: IBBKIDJA
Note: BII is also known as Bank Internasional Indonesia in Indonesian language.
Product and Services
The product and services offered by BII Maybank can be classified into 5 major categories, Personal Banking, Corporate Banking, Syariah Banking, SME (Small & Medium Enterprise) & Commercial and Treasury.
A. Personal Banking:
Personal Banking products include mortgage, credit card, deposit, wealth management. The saving account in BII is available in its national currency (IDR = Indonesian Rupiah) or in various foreign currencies including US Dollar (USD), Singapore Dollar (SGD), Australian Dollar (AUD) and Euro (EUR). The local currency or IDR accounts are specified into few categories with different interest rates and rewards, such as BII Gold, BII Woman One, BII SuperKidz, BII Pro, BII Eduplan, etc. All the account activities are reported in monthly account statement and will be delivered to you (if you choose not to have a passbook). As an account holder, you are entitled to enjoy various access conveniences through ATM, Phone Banking and Internet Banking.
B. Corporate Banking:
Corporate Banking Products offer by BII consists of Loan, Funding, Investment Banking, Credit Card and Global Transaction Services. While the services prepared for the corporate clients are Cool Banking, Payroll, Export, Import, Custodian and Pundi Reksa.
C. Islamic Banking:
Islamic banking or Sharia Banking refers to Muslim Banking system where certain percentage of the financial transaction is donated to the needy. This banking is now a trend in Indonesia or Middle East countries, considering most of the populations are Muslim.
D. SME & Commercial:
BII also provides the ease to support the SME (Small & Medium Enterprise) to start their business and is acknowledge as the having the best production in SME in Indonesia.
BII Bank Services
Services provided by BII are as follows (Note: Some of these services can be access online or mobile):
1. ATM/ Debit Card
BII has 893 ATM spread throughout the country. And the customers are connected with more than 200.000 ATM in the Network as well as Malaysian’s MEPS Network.
2. CDM (Cash Deposit Machine)
Fifteen (15) Cash Deposit Machines is provided in the major city in Indonesia. This machine makes it easier for the customer to bank in their account at any time on their convenience.
3. Internet Banking
Internet banking provided by BII gives the convenience in doing the transaction without needed to stop by the nearest branch offices. No additional fee is required. Customer can do the following transaction such as
- You can check your checking balance
- Transfer fund from one account to another account
- Pay your bill through the internet online banking
- Access to customer service such as checking fee & charges, currency exchange rate, interest rate for specific account (credit card, checking account, saving account or CD)
- Change any account setting preferences
- Email the customer service for help or access
- Report any suspicious activity in your account
4. BII Payment
BII has worked together with many other companies in order to let the customers have all of their billing paid from one BII account. The billing partners of BII consists of Banking (American Express, ANZ, Citibank, GE Money, HSBC, Permata Bank, Standard Chartered Bank), Insurance (AIG, AXA Financial, Eka Life, Prudential, Sinarmas Insurance), Credit or Leasing Company (Adira, OTO), Telecommunication and Internet Provider (Fren, Indosat, Telkom, Telkomsel, XL), Cable TV Provider (Astro, Indovision, Cablevision), Airlines (Lion Air, Wings Air) and the State Electrical Company (PLN).
5. BII Customer Care
The phone call customer care is ready 24/7. Dial 69811 from your cell phone if you are in Indonesia. The customer care base in Jakarta, Indonesia. But BII makes it easier for the customers that call from house phone, the pulse is considered as local pulse instead of long-distance call pulse.
6. Voucher Reload
Almost 80% of Indonesian is using the pre-paid vouchers for the mean of communication. And it is very common that one person can have up to 3 phones, considering the cheap rate. Therefore BII makes it easier to reload the phone voucher via ATM or mobile banking.
The Mobile and Internet Banking
There is no additional fee for the Online Banking when you have a BII account. To access the BII internet banking, you will need:
- Laptop or desktop computer or tablet PC or any smart phones with online access
- Your Operating System (OS) can be one of the following such as Windows 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP, Vista or Win 7 system and Macintosh using OS 10.x
- You can use a supported web browser including Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and higher (compulsory for first time user registration), Firefox 3 and higher, and Chrome 3.0 and higher
- Support 128 bit ssl security encryption protection
You have Online ID and password to access the internet banking. First registration needs to be done at the ATM to obtain the ID.
To obtain your mobile banking access, you can register your mobile phone at the nearest BII branch office to get the SMS Token for any e-financial transaction, except checking account balance.
BII Online BankingClick thumbnail to view full-size
Advantages & Disadvantages
Pros of BII:
- 24 hours phone banking customer care
- Quite Safe, considering every financial transaction can only be performed with SMS Token
- No monthly fee
- Easy to access the account
- Provide up-to-date Foreign Exchange Currency
- Multi-currency and Cross-currency transaction are available
- Options for recurring transactions are available
- 24/7 Online Customer Care is ready to assist
- Provide demo or video on online banking
- Receive various awards from national and international banking such as CSIS 2009 award, Global Service Index (GSI) Award and more.
Cons of BII:
- The registration for the first time user can only be done under Internet Explorer, even though afterwards the BII Internet Banking can be accessed from Firefox or Google Chrome.
- The registration process is quite long, starting from register at ATM, and then with the code from the ATM, we can register at the website. We will need to go to the nearest branch office to register our mobile phone to get the SMS token. The entire process will take around 7 (seven) working days before the full-featured can be accessed.
- Will need to keep our mobile phone next to us for every financial transaction, as the password (SMS Token) for each transaction will be sent through SMS. Quite annoying if we’re happened to be in no signal area.
With the recent acquisition of Maybank, BII has grown stronger in term of financial support as well as vast network connection. BII definitely can be considered as one of preferred bank to open an account in Indonesia. With its aspiration of becoming Top 5 Bank by Assets and Return and Leading in 5 Areas by 2015, BII will surely expand and improve itself, which in certain ways giving additional value-added for the customers.
One of the advantage of using BII is customer can access one of the ATM’s CDM (Cash Deposit Machine. Customer can deposit his/her money during the out of office hours and without any hassle such as waiting during the banking hours. Another great feature is BII also offers a free saving account for women. Those who don’t want to spend extra money on the monthly administration fee for saving account, the BII Woman One saving account can be a great choice.
BII also has connection with various billing partners. The recurring transaction option provided in the internet banking also is also a great tool for someone to manage his/her monthly billing payment as well as transfer transaction. The SMS token usage in mobile banking is actually a bit annoying, as you will need to check your mobile phone again, and there is time limit for the SMS token. The token can timeout within a few minutes, this can cause issue if you haven’t completed your transaction during this period. Though, this can provide another safety net for customers when they are using this mobile access.