ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to Find Retirement Money and Pensions from a Former Employer

Updated on May 29, 2013
Your old employers may be holding cash that belongs to you.
Your old employers may be holding cash that belongs to you.

Could you use a windfall of a few thousand dollars extra? If you—or your spouse—has worked for a number of employers over the years, there might be several thousand dollars sitting around in some retirement account that belong to you. All you have to do is claim them.

My wife and I have enjoyed windfalls of over $2000 simply by claiming retirement assets from our first jobs. When I worked as a civil servant for the Navy years ago, my paycheck had a deduction for “Navy Cum Ret”. I claimed a refund of these deductions by submitting a form entitled “Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions”, found on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management's website ( Along with the refund, I received interest on that amount! As for my wife, she held a 2-month substitute teaching job in 1988. Her paycheck included a mandatory deduction for the State of Connecticut Teachers’ Retirement Board. By contacting this entity and filing a change of address, we now receive statements showing that my wife’s initial deductions of $236.70 in 1988 have grown to $1992.04! This amount will continue to grow.

The fact that my wife and I have held multiple jobs over the years makes us fairly typical. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median worker had worked for their current employer for only 4.4 years as of January 2010. See Thus a typical employee will work for at least a half dozen employers during their lifetime. Indeed, another BLS study found that individuals born between 1957 and 1964 held an average of 11 jobs from age 18 to age 44. These individuals will no doubt hold additional jobs after age 44 until retirement. If you are typical, you will also have a history of employment changes.

With each change in employment, the worker may leave behind retirement assets belonging to him or her. For example, the worker might leave behind a vested pension, a 401K or 403(b) retirement plan, or another retirement or savings plan. As the years pass by, it’s easy to forget about these assets and misplace their accompanying paperwork.

Workers are more likely to accumulate retirement assets or build savings at some jobs than others. It’s unusual, for example, for a college student to have a pension plan or 401k at his summer job. But it’s likely that teachers, civil servants or other government employees, or union members will earn retirement benefits even for short periods of employment. Thus, when searching for lost money, it can pay to look harder at some past employers than others.

Steps to Find Lost Retirement Money

Follow these steps to find any of your lost retirement money:

1. Make a list of your past employers and when you worked for them. (If you are married, also make a list for your spouse.) For many people, this step is trivial as you already have the list: your resume or perhaps a copy of an employment application which asked for this information. Another place to look is at old tax returns, if you’ve kept copies going back through the years.

2. Prioritize the list to identify the most promising past employers. Your more promising jobs are where you worked as a teacher, civil servant or other government employee, or belonged to a union, or worked for a large employer with a full range of benefits, or worked for a long period of time. Less promising jobs are where you worked part-time or on a temporary basis, or worked for a small employer, or where you worked for only a brief period of time.

3. Review your files for any information about pensions, 401(k) or other retirement accounts. If you find any old statements, use the contact information to call the plan administrator (or visit the plan’s website) to provide change of address information. Look at old pay stubs and tax returns. If your pay stubs included deductions for anything sounding like a retirement account, you are likely entitled to at least your past deductions and any earnings on those deductions regardless of whether you met any vesting requirements for company contributions. A close review of the W-2 Wage and Tax Statements you used to prepare tax returns from previous years will often include information about contributions made to your 401(k), 403(b) or other retirement plans, or whether you were covered under a pension plan.

4. If your old employer no longer exists, find out what happened to them. Companies and businesses commonly change over time. One company may merge with another to form a new company, or one business might be bought by another. Despite these changes, the company’s retirement plans usually survive, and you have a valid claim to them. Internet searches will typically show what happened to your old employer. A good source to find information about companies that no longer exist is at Or contact an old co-worker to find out. Then, contact the new employer to ask about your retirement assets.

5. If you worked for an employer which offered a pension but you can’t find the company or your records, contact the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC). If you had a vested pension at a company that went bankrupt, the PBGC may have responsibility for your old pension plan, and you still have rights to your pension (although the amounts of your pension payments might be reduced if they exceed the amounts guaranteed by the PBGC). You can search for plans taken over by the PBGC at See the brochure “Finding a Lost Pension” at

6. If you can’t find information about an old 401(k) retirement plan, visit the National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits at This site includes a free and easy to-use tool for searching unclaimed retirement plan benefits.

7. Contact the retirement plan sponsor. Your old employer most likely used a plan sponsor such as Fidelity Investments, Vanguard or Merrill Lynch to administer its retirement plans. You may find information about your old retirement account at the website of this sponsor.

8. One last place to search for old retirement assets is the missing money department of your state or local government. Information about these departments is summarized by the website at


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment
    • profile image

      pamela Gilbert 

      5 years ago

      I had called thepolice in 1996 about vivioux people from anaheim-when bought a battery when mine was stolen by people from care credit

    • tipstoretireearly profile imageAUTHOR


      7 years ago from New York

      Good luck! Hopefully you'll find some leftover money to help with your holiday expenses.

    • profile image


      7 years ago

      Very interesting...I may have to follow some of these links for older jobs I held...thanks much...cheers

    • tipstoretireearly profile imageAUTHOR


      7 years ago from New York

      Hi monica - Thanks for stopping by!

    • monicamelendez profile image


      7 years ago from Salt Lake City

      Nice that's awesome! I wish I had a job where that could be a possibility!

    • Happyboomernurse profile image

      Gail Sobotkin 

      8 years ago from South Carolina

      Wow! What an excellent, well researched and comprehensive article about how to find retirement money from previous employers. I also like the fact that you provided links to websites that can help the reader do specific searches for their previous employers.

      Voted up, useful and interesting.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)