- Personal Finance»
- Frugal Living
20 Crazy Ways to Save Money
Money-pinching at its extreme
People get creative to invent ways to save money because every penny counts. Frugality is understandable in tight economic times but wait til you see how some have gone to the extreme. Nevertheless, some of actually work. The better off you are in managing your finances. Here are 20 crazy things people do to save money.
1. Saving up on condiments by taking home all those free packets or sachets they give at fast food joints or diners. From all the extras that is being given out by the restaurants, a month's worth of ketchup, salt, pepper, sugar, cream and hot sauce could be striken off the grocery list if one knows how to do this discreetly.
2. Scheduling meals or reducing the number of meals. Some people make a habit of limiting eating frequency or meals. The trick is to eat a big breakfast and not eat until way into the night. Not only will one save on food and grocery money, there are possibilities of saving in other items in your household. Eating fewer meals will make one save both time and money. With lesser meals to prepare, there is less water being used since , cooking gas, and a lot more.
3. Buying second hand appliances and clothing. Many people in the third world enjoy hand-me-downs from their richer counterparts through second hand clothing stores. There can be great finds. Just make sure to skip the under garments.
4. Saving gas money by waiting for hours in between meetings in a parking lot even when your house is just a few blocks away.
5. Renting out an extra room to budget travelers or sharing your room to a stranger just to earn that extra. While this is a good idea, you must have a fool-proof way of screening potential renters.
6. Cutting own hair to save money for a trip to the salon. Do this if you very confident with your hair-cutting skills or when you are marooned in a deserted island. Way better to entrust this task to a professional barber or cutter.
7. Getting a rich girlfriend or boyfriend to pay for everything or simply -- freeloading. Not a very ethical thing to do but some people can go to this extreme.
8. Going to work on a skate board. It saves you fuel money and burns you more calories on a daily basis.
9 . Walking all the way to work and back. This might not be a good idea if you live in an unsafe neighborhood. While you may save a few hundred fare money, risking your life is not a great justification to save money.
10. Heading to the airconditioned malls during the summer to save on airconditioning electricity cost. While this may be productive if you are alone, bringing your family along will actually cost you more. Besides, window shopping is a big no-no if you are bent of saving.
11. One millionaire was so stingy despite his wealth that to save money on water bills, he avoided using the toilet flush in his house. Instead he choose to pee on an empty bottle each time and toss it into the neighbor's backyard.
12. Opening the car windows to save on fuel. Nothing wrong with this but not when it's raining or when speeding in the highways. The rain will easily cause malfunction of the power windows and drag during high speed driving can actually make your car engine use up more gas.
13. Putting the car on 'neutral' when cruising downhill. There is a misconception that this saves gas but according to mpg experts, it does not make much difference. This is also not a good idea if you have an old automatic car with engine problems. If its breaks down or the engine dies, its close to impossible to brake it thus increasing your chances of crashing into a car before you.
14. Eating in unsafe food stalls to save on food money. This is very common in third world countries. You might save on food by eating this way but the safety of the food or food handling is an issue, better not risk your health.
15. Buying frozen meat put 'on sale' in order to save on grocery money. You know why they are being sold at 50% less -- the expiry date is almost up! This also true for other food items that are put on sale. If you think you are saving hard-earned money, think again. Never risk your stomach health by eating spoiled meat.
16. Gate-crashing weddings, parties and celebrations to save on food money. You might not believe it, but some people get away with it and has made it a profession.
17. Cracking a neighbor's wifi connection password to save on internet connection. Well, some people do it to save on internet connection, but it is plain and simple stealing.
18. To save on mobile phone costs, some do not make the calls themselves but ring up or make 'missed calls' to people they intend to call. That way, the other person will be forced to call him instead.
19. To save on laundry money, some people wear clothing once, twice, thrice in a week. It's a matter of preference only for a few. Just make sure to stock up on deo.
20. Washing your car in the rain. Saving on your water bills is always good. You can also take a bath while doing so, more savings there.
So there you have it. Crazy ways people do to save on money.
You too, can write for HubPages
- Are you better at expressing yourself in words?
- Is writing your passion?
- Do you secretly hope to finally start a writing career in the future?
- Would you like to develop your writing talent?
If you answered yes to all of the above, then take your chance right now and get creative, start your passion in writing and you could be earning passive income by doing what you love most. Find out more about writing for Hubpages by registering HERE.
HubPages is a very dynamic and helpful community for writers all around the world. This is the chance to hone your writing skills by developing articles around your topics of interest.Be a writer for HubPages now!