ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Boost Your Credit Score in 3 Steps

Updated on February 16, 2016

Step One: Free Credit Reports

Current laws require your credit report to be available to you for free annually to review and report inaccuracies.

The major credit reporting agencies (CRAs) Equifax, Experian, and Transunion are required to provide you with a copy of your credit report for free annually under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).

This is the site you can access all three for free
Just follow the prompts to identify yourself.

I also highly recommend

Yes, as their commercials indicate ad nauseum-It's really free.

Their site will give you live credit scores, notices of any changes, and recommendations on building your credit score up. They also have implemented a dispute assistance tool that assists you in disputing inaccuracies.

Step Two : Reviewing and Saving your Reports

You will be taken to your online display of your credit report. Go to "Negative/Adverse" information and review what is currently reporting as negative.

See something that isn't right? There is an option to initiate a dispute and investigation on each item that you feel is inaccurate. Click on "dispute" and select your reasoning for your dispute.

Upon completion of your disputes, SAVE your report to your computer for comparison upon investigation completion.

Repeat this with all three CRAs. Each time you click "Finish viewing my report" the system will automatically take you to the next CRAs site to obtain your next report. FINISH ALL THREE!! (not all creditors use the same CRA, so it's important all are accurate)

Step Three: Negotiation for Valid Negative Debts

Under the FCRA delinquent accounts can only be reported for 7 years from date of delinquency or charge off. If your debt is past the 7 years, dispute it, as it is required to be removed.

If you have a bankruptcy, the record can be reported for 10 years from date of discharge.

For the remaining negative items that have not surpassed the 7 year mark, call the creditor first, and attempt to negotiate a settlement. It is always a good idea to ask that they update your credit with a paid in full, rather than a settled in full category, but it is up to them whether they will agree.

BEFORE PAYING: GET IT IN WRITING. If you want to ensure you have evidence of the settlement in case the creditor inadvertently places the remaining balance of the settlement with another debt collector--get your agreement in writing! Keep it in an electronic email folder or a file folder that you can easily access if necessary for future proof of settlement.

Investigation Conclusion

Typically you will receive your dispute investigation results back within 30 days from the CRA you reported the inaccuracy to. Review the outcome: either the item has been deleted, corrected, or validated. If you still dispute the item, you are permitted to add a 'statement of dispute' to the file so that when you apply for credit in the future, your statement regarding that dispute will be available to potential creditors.

I complete these steps annually to ensure I am aware of what my credit report reflects.

Credit Report Review Awareness

Do you feel you have enough information to review and repair your credit?

See results


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment
    • paolaenergya profile image

      Paola Bassanese 

      9 months ago from London

      Very informative article, thank you!


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)