- Personal Finance
Cutting Bills in half
Is it really possible?
Yes, it truly is possible to cut your bills in half. In case you are wondering how this is possible, I have the solution. Let's start with talking about your utility bills.
- You can adjust your hot water tank to warm up faster and this reduces the time you spend running water waiting for it to warm up.
- When brushing your teeth be sure to turn the water off when you are not using it.
- Lower your water pressure when it's possible to do so.
- I know some people may be too much of a clean freak for this one, but you can use towels more than once occasionally. Clothes do the same when possible. This will reduce your loads of laundry.
- In your toilet tanks you can place a milk gallon or half gallon filled with gravel/rocks in there. This will reduce water used during flushes.
- Check your bill and the water consumption you are using. By doing this you will be able to know if you are making enough of a change.
- Repair any leaking faucets.
- Buy faucet aerators and they will reduce you water flow up to 60 percent.
- Use a water bottle for drinking water instead of using a cup each time. This reducing washing too many cups.
- When washing dishes by hand do not fill the sink too high. After washing dishes put the washed dishes in a bin or other side of sink until time to rinse. Rinse the cleaned dishes off after all dishes are clean at one time.
- Hang your laundry out to dry or use clothing twice when you can to reduce time drying.
- Only wash clothes when you can fill the washing machine up.
- Turn out lights when you are not using them.
- Make sure your freezer/fridge is at the right temperatures.
- Don't use the oven unless you have to. Use a small oven instead when possible.
- Use fans when you can instead of using air conditioning.
- Use fluorescent lights instead of regular bulbs.
- Turn down water heater.
- Unplug anything you can and anytime you can.
- Buy basic channels.
- Call your cable company and ask them for a lower rate. You never know, they may be able to give you a promotion or lower rate.
- Channels you don't watch? Call and ask to get them cut off since you don't watch them.
- Turn the tv off and unplug the tv when you are not watching it.
- Don't buy movies on cable unless they are cheaper than box rentals (Redbox, Blockbuster) or other cheap movie rentals.
- Find cheaper service if your current company won't work with you or go to satellite.
- If you have Internet connection then you can watch movies on the computer rather than buy them if you want. Although some people don't enjoy watching movies on the computer especially as a family.
- Go old school and use antennas to pick up channels.
Now on to other bills that can be cut. You can cut your grocery bill, insurance, credit card bills, and cellular bills.
For you groceries you can use coupons. If you don't know how to coupon then there are a ton of websites that will teach you step by step. I have another article that discusses reward cards and how to use that to your advantage too. If you don't want to coupon then simply buying store brands and buying items when they are on sale will save you a ton. Be sure when you go to the grocery store, you have a list prepared. Do not go to the grocery store without knowing what you are going for. This is a sure way to spend more than needed.
For insurance you can call several companies and they will give you quotes. If you have your auto insurance with one company and homeowners insurance with another then you may want switch the one over so you can get a discount. If you want to stay with the insurance company you are with you can get a quote from another company and then show your current company that quote. They may give you a better rate if you can prove that you are serious about switching over to a competitor.
Credit cards are a big one. First off everyone knows that debt is not something we want over our shoulders. However, some of us have credit cards that we use for the points or just for emergencies. No matter what your reason may be you can still get a better interest rate. First check with your current company to see they can give you a better interest rate. Explain to them you are in need of a smaller payment so you can get them paid off quicker. If that doesn't work then check into balance transfers with a card at a zero interest rate. Be careful with this one because these often come with some type of promotion time period. After that promotion period they will raise your interest rate to a high one. Look at your balance and be sure you can pay it off before that rate goes up.
Cellular bills are almost a must nowadays. Most people I know have a cell phone and to be frank most people do want the most high tech phone out there that they can get. However, there are options. There are many competitors out there. A few would be Boost Mobile and Straight Talk. These companies offer prepaid services. Most cellular prepaid companies offer better phones now and so it's worth checking in to. Good thing about these companies is that there is no contract and you can't go over!
Good luck to all. Peace, love, and blessings!