Cutting My Own Hair to Save Money
Cutting My Own Hair to Save Money
Cutting my own hair is the best decision I have ever made to save money. Going to the hairdresser can be very expensive especially if your hair grows very quickly every 4 to 6 weeks like mine. It cost me between £10 to £15 to have a hair cut, wash and blow dry. I worked it out that over a year if I go to the hairdresser every 4 to 6 weeks it will cost me about £100 to £130 a year to have my hair done. It might not be a lot to some people but to me it matters a lot when I am trying to save money.
Another reason why I decided to cut my own hair aside from saving money is that I can never get the hair cut that I want despite explaining to the hairdresser how I want my hair cut.
I went to a hairdresser once and she asked me how I wanted it cut and as usual I told her how I wanted my hair cut. After a while when she finished, my hair cut looked awful. I was not happy and I told her that I won't be going back. No disrespects to hairdressers out there but there are some hairdressers who really can't cut your hair the style you tell them. It is very frustrating indeed.
I found one hairdresser, a very nice lady who understood how I want my hair done and I have been going to her for a while but then she resigned from the salon and I lost my good hairdresser. I have been watching how she cut my hair and I thought to myself maybe I can do it too. So, from then on I gave myself a challenge to cut my own hair. My hair is black, fine, oily and is straight not curly so it is easy to cut.
I have a big mirror hanging on my kitchen wall and a small mirror to use to see the back of my head. Then I bought myself a sharp hairdressing scissor and a fine tooth comb. I put a black bag around my neck to catch the cut hair. Then I start cutting my hair from my fringe going to the left and right side of my head then to the back of my head.Unlike the hairdresser, I put powder around my neck before I start cutting so that the hair won't stick to my neck and surrounding areas.
The hairdressers put the powder after they finish cutting the hair. It is easy to cut the fringe if you want it straight. But you can also cut it so that it is not all of the same length. It all depends on what style you want really. I do a bit of both on my fringe sometimes I cut it straight and sometimes staggered.
At first, I used to cut my hair like a bob which is so easy to do because I just cut the hair on a straight line on the fringe and on the side and back. But then as I become more confident in cutting my own hair, I wanted to try a short hair cut. So from bob, I went and cut my hair shorter.
The compliments I got from my colleagues and friends were amazing. They thought I had it cut by an experienced hairdresser. I told them it is free hair cut as well, it just cost me time but it is worth it.
How I cut my hair photos
Cutting Other People's Hair
Since I started cutting my own hair, my husband asked me if I could cut his hair as well. This had boosted my confidence and I started cutting his hair since then. The weird thing is I do enjoy cutting hair as well.
I remember when I was young maybe about ten years old, my best friend and I started cutting each other's hair, back then it was a bob hair cut so it was easy. Perhaps I should have become a hairdresser. Then my cousin now ask me to cut her hair. So I am not only saving myself money but I save money for my husband's haircut and my cousin's hair cut.
Things you need for Cutting Your Own Hair
1. Buy a good pair of sharp scissor - You need a hairdressing scissor that is sharp and one that last for a while.
2. Big mirror and small mirror - You want one big mirror to be hanged on the wall and you need a small mirror preferably one that tilts so it is easy to adjust. You need the small mirror to look at the back of your head. I put it slightly opposite the big mirror on the wall.
3. Black bag or clear bag - to put around the neck to catch the cut hair.
4. Powder or talc - you need powder to put around the neck area so that the cut hair will not stick to your skin.
5. A fine tooth comb - you need a small fine tooth-comb
Letting your Hair Grow to Save Money
If you don't really know how to cut your own hair, there is another way of saving money by letting your hair grow then just tie it at the back on a pony tail. But it is easier to cut it when it is long because you can see the end of your hair to cut a bit off if you like.
If not just cut it like a bob hair cut or a pixie cut. It is so easy to cut it like this and easier to manage than long hair. Any novice hairdresser can do it or even an untrained hairdresser can do it like me. It just takes a lot of practice really. I should have taken hairdressing as a job but I got different calling.
How much I Save by Cutting My Own Hair and My Husband's Hair
£103-£130 a year
Cutting my own hair to save money
Would you try cutting your own hair to save money?
Do it Yourself Hair Cut Saves Money
While I enjoy cutting my own hair there are times like special occasions that I really want a proper hair cut then I will go to the Salon for my hair to be cut but I have to find one that cuts my hair the style I like. Looking at the savings we make above, I think it is worth cutting my own hair and my husband's hair too. We both save some money.
Cutting Your Own Hair to save Money and have Self-satisfaction
I created this article by myself just to share to other people some ways of saving money when you want to live frugally and also for my own self-satisfaction because I am so fussy about my hair, I just want it cut the way I like it. So, I have no one else to blame if my hair cut goes wrong but myself.
Things that could Go Wrong when Cutting Your Own Hair
Things could go wrong while cutting your own hair like the following but could be remedied:
1. You might cut your hair too short more than you intended to - you will look like a man or a boy but all is not lost. To avoid this happening, always cut your hair dry not wet. Also do not cut it too short to begin with. Start at a certain length say an inch off then if you are happy with the result carry on and cut some more if you want to.
2. The back hair might not be perfect because it is hard to cut the hair at the back of your head. But you could always ask a friend, relative or your husband to check it, do it for you or straighten it for you.
3. If you cut your hair too short and you can't put it right then it is time to go to the Salon. But if you like short hair don't worry too much about it, it will grow again in 4 to 6 weeks.
Cutting My Own Hair to Save Money
- How to deal with debts
There are so many ways on how to manage debts. Some are easy to follow and some are difficult to do. But I know through personal experience that it is doable. It needs patience and determination.
© 2014 Linda Bryen