Deals Worth Waiting For: Birthday Freebies and Deals
It's Your Birthday
While the best part of the birthday is undoubtedly the singing of Happy Birthday by your friends and loved ones, I bet that the presents are pretty high up on your list. While you can probably count on one hand the people that remember your special day and come armed with gifts, restaurants and retailers have long understood the value of treating you on your birthday.
Not only do you get to reap the benefit of free birthday goodies, but you're also opening your heart to a retailer that wants you to remember this day and open your wallet in the future. It's a fair trade with winners on both sides, so if you're interested in making the world a better place, keep on reading~
My Birthday Freebies Story
Yes, I am THAT person. I have a secondary email I've used to sign up for different promotions from every retailer in a 20 mile radius (from every place I've lived since I started using the internet) so I have an embarrassment of riches once a year.
I want you to be open minded and remember that the best retailers and restaurants understand that you have birthday plans so they'll send you deals that are good for a week or even a month. Just this past year, I enjoyed the following birthday freebies:
- Free noodle bowl
- Free sandwich
- Free entree with the purchase of a friend's entree
- Free soft drink
- Free companion ticket when I purchased tickets for a local concert
- Free salad
- Free cookie
- Free BOGO coupon at one of my favorite places
And so on and so forth. I basically had 3 weeks of various birthday goodies that I shared with friends, and you can do the same. Let's dive right into my favorite options.
An Even Happier Birthday
Will you sign up for some birthday freebies?
Will you sign up for some birthday freebies?
My 10 Favorite Birthday Freebies for This Year
Frankly the biggest challenge is making time for birthday freebies, so I'm starting with 10 that I absolutely am going to enjoy this year:
- Baskin Robbins - Free small ice cream or soft serve swirl. I know it's modest but I just love getting my hands on soft serve! And I have a Baskin Robbins 5 minutes away.
- Brio Tuscan Grille - Free filet and crab shrimp cake. I've never been here but when I saw this freebie, I decided to change that this year! Nothing like some surf and turf to celebrate turning a year older.
- Denny's - Free Grand Slam Breakfast. I love Denny's and old-style diners. Waking up on my birthday morning and trotting out for eggs, sausage and bacon sounds A-ok to me.
- Houlihan's - Free menu item up to $15. This may be the holy grail of birthday freebies but I'm not all that close to a location. Nonetheless, I will journey out to enjoy my choice of entree under $15. Plus, they have good drink specials.
- Krispy Kreme - Free coffee and a doughnut. You know I love coffee, and pairing it with doughnut for the price $0 makes me smile.
- Moe's Southwest Grill - Free entree with chips and salsa. I always have space for decent Mexican food, so sign me up for a steak burrito!
- Ruby Tuesday - Free burger. This is another new one for me. I'm not new to Ruby Tuesday but haven't normally gotten their burgers (usually just the salad bar for me). I hear that they have a buffalo burger so that may be the pick for me.
- Starbucks - Free handcrafted beverage. I love getting my Quadruple Venti White Chocolate Mocha Latte with skim milk. Or something like that...
- AMF or Brunswick Bowling - A couple free games of bowling. I haven't bowled in who knows how long, but this will get me to the lanes.
- Steak 'n Shake - Free burger and fries. OK, it's not likely that I'll travel the distance to get there but if there was one near me, I would totally drive for the burger and fries.
What are Deals Worth Waiting For?
Just to review, here's what it Deals Worth Waiting For is all about:
One of the ideas that lead to the birth of DealsForALiving is that navigating deals and maximizing resources makes life easier and more joyful. It spans everything that I'm passionate about in food, technology, news and media consumption, the workday and my work, and in relationships. The more I can share these things, then the more I get to see and hear people benefiting from these deals, and these snippets of wisdom (that's how I see it).
Closest to my heart are national and international deals that are offered by big brands, because they are there for the taking by thousands, even millions, of people. What comes to mind are Labor Day sales on furniture, annual food events, Black Monday, Cyber Friday, and end of the year clearance sales. And so I want to write about these things so you can join me in enjoying the fruits of our long wait!
If I Have Time
And if I have time, I'll get to these deals too:
- Orange Julius - Free Orange Julius. There's one at the local mall so I should be able to get this one.
- Noodles & Company - Free noodle bowl or soup. This was awesome last year, and hopefully I can participate again.
- IHOP - Free Rooty Tooty Fresh And Fruity. If I'm not full after my free Denny's Grand Slam breakfast.
- Dunkin Donuts - Free medium beverage. I can always use more coffee.
- Benihana's - Free $30 certificate for future use. Hibachi is so fancy, and this would allow me to do it all over again on their dime!
It's YOUR Birthday
It's your birthday and you can cry if you want to. And now you know that you can collect freebies if you want to, and have a free meal if you want to, bowl a few games if you want to, and so on...
I can't tell you enough how great it is to have a birthday, and even the curmudgeons among us that hate growing a year older have at least 15 reasons to look forward to their birthdays. So go ahead, sign up, show up, and let your favorite stores shower you with love and celebrate your day your way.
It's YOUR Birthday
You Can Look Like This
I believe that being frugal and making smart money choices is like any other exercise. As we continue to practice good habits in saving money where possible, finding deals for what we want, and having a good time at it, then we become better at dealing for a living.
I'm committed to sharing my experiences with getting the most out of using credit cards, saving and spending tips, and I might even add a slice of perspective without trying to be a psychoanalyst like some other personal finance folks out there.
Please let me know what you think and if you'd like to hear my take on a specific topic.