Earning on Ebay #8: The Best Way to Describe Your Items
Hello readers! For my newest Ebay related hub, I wanted to get down to a base issue with Ebay selling, and that is the importance of a good title for your Ebay listing. Even if you are selling some fantastic items, your online selling efforts can be hopelessly stymied by a bad title. Just like with a movie or a retail product, the title can be the most important way to promote to your potential buyers. There are a number of benefits to be had from a well thought out and descriptive title.
1. Make a good first impression - When you are selling online, you are seen in somewhat of an authority setting. In most Ebay encounters, the buyer expects the seller to have some knowledge about the products that they are selling. Having an effective Ebay title helps you to establish credibility in the minds of your perspective buying audience. Let's look at an example. If I were selling a vintage Star Wars figure and I was crafting my listing, I could choose two options. I could take a few seconds to throw up a title and say, "Space action figure for sale". However, if I were to take more time for my title I could come up with something like, "Exclusive Star Wars Collection Series Luke Skywalker Figure". By creating a better title I have shown my buyers that I know my item before they have even clicked on the listing. Also, this extra care in my title shows that I will strive for the highest quality throughout the entire selling process.
MORE Ebay Resources!
2. Say more in your title - A highly detailed and effective Ebay title also helps you to get more information to your buyers when they first see your listing. When I am creating an Ebay title, I make sure to include as much relevant information as possible. In the listing above I have an Iphone for sale. I could create a simple title and just say "Iphone for sale". I could even get fancy and throw in some fancy adjectives with a title like "Awesome, Shiny, Useful, Fun Iphone for sale". Again, this title is better than a basic title, but it just has fluff. For my auction title I would say "Apple Iphone 4 16gb (AT&T), READY TO UNLOCK, LOOK!!!". In the case of my title, I have given the specific item type. Rather than just say "Iphone" I give the specific model (Iphone 4) as well as the amount of storage, and the network that it is used on. This relevant information lets me speak to my target market right from the get go rather than making my buyers wonder.
When it comes to some Ebay titles...
2b. Say less in your title - I would say that including plenty of information in your title is the best option most of the time. However, there are a few instances where less in your title is better. One of these is when you are looking to create some allure for your item that may need some extra exposure with an attention getting title that makes buyers want more. For example, I was recently selling some old cookware, one of which looked like an old genie lamp. I decided to have some fun with the listing and said "Vintage cook wear with lamp, includes genie???" Of course this was a joke, but it definitely stood out more than "Vintage metal cooking wear from my kitchen".
A second time to give less in your listing is when there are special instructions for purchase, or numerous specifications that would give an unnecessarily complicated title. If I were listing a computer that had been modified with extra memory, an upgraded video card, an after market keyboard, and it was built to run on a specific operating system, I could give a real mouthful of a title. Rather than saying, "Computer system with 2 TB hard drive, Radeon V12 3D graphics card, wireless keyboard add on, specific for Linux operating system", I could simply say "Customized computer with upgrades and extras LOOK!" or "Upgraded computer with extras, see description". This way I direct buyers to thoroughly read my description and get any questions answered before they bid. This makes the process much smoother for both myself and any bidders.
Play the Name Game with your Ebay Auctions
3. Create EXCITEMENT! - You have to remember that you are in the business of marketing when you are selling on Ebay. It is your job to promote your item and make yourself stand out from the competition. I mentioned in a previous hub that starting price can help you stand out, the same thing is true when it comes to your title. Lets pretend that we are selling a new television set. Let's look at these three listing titles:
"RCA TV and remote with cables"
"TV wirth extra and more stuffs"
"NEW and SEALED RCA model B7000 Everything Included LOOK!!!"
Title one is descriptive and useful, but it is just boring when it comes to standing out from other products. Title two is not only haphazardly done with typos and an unprofessional look, but it doesn't give much relevant information. Title three is informative and exciting. Remember that your item is competing with every other similar item. If a potential buyer searches for "" and the three listings with the titles above pop up, which item do you think deserves the most attention? By creating an effective title that also stands out will put you miles ahead of less informed sellers. Check out my other Ebay hubs and get some step by step instructions to become a super Ebay seller! RCA Television
You can't get enough Ebay Advice!
- How to Sell on Ebay #6: 10 MORE Reasons I Love and H...
Are you still on the fence about selling on Ebay? Take a look at this collection of 10 reasons why selling on Ebay can be good or bad. You will find out why Ebay expansion and new technology can make Ebay a dream job, but problems with bloated super
- How to Sell on Ebay #5: The Best Time to List Items ...
Timing is everything when it comes to making money on Ebay. Let me show you the best time to bring in bidders. You will see the best time to list annually, by month, by week, by day, and even by hour! Don't miss this tip list to maximize your selling
- How to Sell On Ebay #4: Selling With Penny Listings-...
Come one, come all! I sell all my items for a penny, or do I? Here is the breakdown of penny auctions on Ebay.
- How to Sell on Ebay #3: Ebay Bundle Selling
Selling on Ebay can be tricky. Sometimes, selling in various groups, or lots, can be one key to becoming a great online seller. Here are some big reasons to give Ebay bundling a try!
- How to sell on Ebay #2: The Truth about Ebay Selling...
An essential breakdown of all the fees for selling on Ebay. I want to maximize your online money-making potential. To do that, I need to show you how much of the pie you really get to take with you.
- How to Sell on Ebay #1: 10 Reasons Why I Love and Ha...
Find the brightest spots and darkest corners in the world of online selling! This Hub looks at some of the specific pros and cons of the world's largest online marketplace, Ebay.