ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Enrolled Agent Vs. CPAs

Updated on July 8, 2012

Deciding between an Enrolled Agent and a Certified Public Accountant

Enrolled Agent Compared to. CPA: Which Is Right for You?

When you're confronted by a tax problem, it's wise for you to select someone qualified for your own tax representation. Even though both enrolled agents and certified public accountants (CPA's) provide highly specialized abilities to the table, they both have their areas of strength. The style of representation suited for you would be determined by what, in particular, your requirements are.

Although they have many differences, enrolled agents and CPA's also have a few things in common. They both have an extensive background in tax accounting, obviously a tax accountant will have a greater degree of experience in this area, this is important to understand if the large part of your tax issues deal with accounting errors or improper accounting practices. Enrolled agents will have a sufficient degree of experience in tax accounting to help most individuals and small companies whose tax problems are of a nature other than accounting errors.

Enrolled Agent

An enrolled agent is licensed by the United States Treasury Department to represent you to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on a variety of tax-related issues. This occupation has been available since 1884 and was originally intended to explore fraudulent and questionable claims that were filed after the Civil War. At that time, Congress began regulating these individuals.

Enrolled agents offer the following services:

• Preparation of Tax Returns

• Offer tax advice relating to properties, businesses as well as trusts as well as to individual persons along with their families

• IRS notices and audits

• Negotiating with the IRS regarding tax relief planning

• Collections action from a field collections agent, or Revenue Officer

• Filing an Offer in Compromise

• General audit investigation that covers multiple years

• Obtaining relief from liens, avoiding wage garnishment and levies.

• Guiding you through the Administrative Appeals Process

• Helping you reduce penalties

• Issues with Payroll taxes

When it comes to accounting and bookkeeping tasks, CPAs are much better trained, knowledgeable and suited. However, unlike CPA's, they also do not engage in other accounting tasks such as bookkeeping.

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

CPA's often handle tax issues for small enterprises and self-employed individuals since their Education enables them to evaluate financial statements as well as offer sound business advice. Enrolled agents are federally regulated, CPAs are licensed by the State, and may specialize in tax accounting. This expertise allows them to handle tax accounting issues such as validating income items and deductions, and filing missing returns for their clients.

CPA's also charge more, but this is easily justified by the wide range of skills they provide.

In a nutshell, enrolled agents are experts on income taxes for everyone ranging from individuals to large corporations while CPA's are experts on everything else related to taxes including auditing, accounting, valuation and personal finance, among other things.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)