- Personal Finance»
- Family Budget
Feeding the Family on a Budget Using Seasonal Foods - Part Four: Cauliflower
Beyond a Steamed Vegetable
When we think of cauliflower, we think of a plain vegetable that we steam and serve along side various different main dishes. Well, it doesn't have to be; cauliflower can be an amazing dish that is both flavorful and memorable.
Why Eat Cauliflower?
Cauliflower is fat free, very low sodium, cholesterol free, high in vitamin C, and a good source of folate. It has only 25 calories and 2 grams of fiber per serving. Cauliflower pairs well with broccoli and is in season in fall.
Making the Most of the Season's Bounty
Here are some ideas that will help you take advantage of cauliflower when it is in season:
- Top a baked potato with cooked cauliflower and grated cheese
- Sprinkle grated cheese and cooked, crumbled bacon over cooked cauliflower
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- Curry Roasted Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Fritters
- Pickled Cauliflower
- Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Marinated Vegetable Salad
- Cauliflower and Leek Soup
- Aloo Gobi - An Indian dish with cauliflower and potato
- Cauliflower and Broccoli Au Gratin
For help in finding recipes for some of these suggestions, click here.