- Personal Finance»
- Frugal Living
Twist Ties and the Many Uses
Don't Throw Them Away - Be Frugal
What does frugal have to do with twist ties?
Meaning of the word Frugal from Wikipedia:
"Frugality is the quality of being frugal, sparing, thrifty, prudent or economical in the use of consumable resources such as food, time or money, and avoiding waste, lavishness or extravagance."
One of my favorite motto's is:
"Waste Not Want Not"
There are many useful things you can do with twist ties. You know the ones that come in a box of garbage bags, or are included with certain types of freezer bags. You can also find them in your grocery store to twist tie bulk food, bread, or produce.
I very rarely use them to tie the garbage bags as i find it easier to simply tie a knot in the top of the garbage bag when it's full. I used to toss the twist ties out until one day when I was trying to get a plant to stand up tall in its pot, and thought, shoot I wish I had one of those twist ties as it would sure come in handy about now.
Twist ties can be purchased
For an art project you may want to purchase twist ties rather than reusing old ones. They do come in an array of bright and vibrant colors.
Some of the many ways to use or reuse twist ties
- I have these really cool corn cob holders/skewers that somehow end up all over the drawers. To keep them all together and in one place I thread them with a twist tie. Of course this won't work for all skewers but for the type I have the ties work great.
- In a pinch a twist tie will work hanging Christmas ornaments on the tree. If you happen to have colored ties such as a green, even better, as it will blend right into the color of the tree.
- In the garden twist ties can be used to stake tomato or other plants.
- Slip a twist tie through a key and hang the key on a hook inside a cupboard or on a wall. Hide a house key somewhere in a garden shed for family members.
- Easily fix a lost or broken metal zipper pull.
- Use to close snack food bags, plastic bags that are going into the freezer, and of course bread bags.
- Keep those electrical cords neat and tidy. You may have to twist two together but they will work.
- Attach signs such as "Beware of Dog" to a chain link fence.
- Picture hangers are something we don't always have handy, and a twist tie can easily be made into one and attached to the back of the frame.
- For those that do arts and crafts - keep your beads strung together and easy to find.
- Kids love to play with twist ties and they can be used to make pretty little flowers or other creative projects.
- If you hand out candy bags at Halloween use twist ties to close up the bags.
- Use for birthday party grab bags.
- Balloons can be attached together at the neck (carefully).
Twist Ties for Drink Tabs
One of my sons has been collecting Monster Energy Drink tabs for a tab promotion. They are offering backpacks, hoodies, beanies, hats, and t-shirts. Once you've saved up anywhere from 30 - 75 tabs you can trade them in for one or more items that you'd like. Rather than the tabs being all over the place I strung them all together.
This artist makes twist tie art
Do you save your twist ties?
What way do you use twist ties? Please let me know in the comment box below.