- Personal Finance»
- Family Budget
10 Great Things You Can Buy for A Million Dollars: Go Ahead and Dream
© 2012 by Aurelio Locsin.
If you just cashed in your latest stock options, hit the big jackpot at Las Vegas or are burning a hole in your pocket with your late uncle’s bequest, here are ten suggestions on where to spend a million dollars. (Thanks to tammyswallow for giving me the idea with her hub entitled 100 Great Things You Can Buy for A Dollar.)
- New York City apartment ($1.1 million): One bedroom/one bath apartment in 794 square feet with views of downtown Manhattan, the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty through floor-to-ceiling windows. Common charges run $756 per month and cover a 24-hour doorman, concierge service, lounge, health club and lap pool.
- Lagoon Caye, Belize ($1 million): Ring-shaped 13-acre island with 7,000 square feet of Caribbean Sea frontage and 5,000 square feet of interior lagoon frontage. Interior lagoon runs 25 acres, is 30 feet deep and has a six-foot wide entrance. The island is only 12 miles to the mainland at its closest point.
- Jaguar C-X75 Supercar($1.1 million): Carbon-fiber body with a boosted internal combustion engine that can do 0 to 100 mph in under 6 seconds. And it’s a hybrid that can run up to 30 miles on electric power alone.
- Jeune Femme a L’Ombrelle (Young Lady with the Umbrella) by Auguste Renoir ($1.1 million): Impressionist painting from 1868 measuring 13 x 10 inches, auctioned by Sotheby’s in 2009. Price includes buyer’s premium. Granted, this is an auction item. But it does show that artwork by a master is still within reach.
- Mikimoto Empress Necklace ($996,000): Pink conch pearl necklace with 36.5 carats of diamonds set in platinum. Available from the website but shipping is extra. Returns for full refund or exchange allowed within 15 days.
- Action Comics No. 1 ($1 million): First Superman comic sold by ComicConnect in February 2010. This is up from $317,000 paid for the same issue in March 2009. Again, this is an auction item, but perhaps the price for the next one will fall somewhere between the two.
- Luxor Las Vegas Jackpot Cellphone by Gresso ($1 million): Pure gold case encrusted with black diamonds and back panel of 200-yeard-old African blackwood. Each key is manufactured from a single crystal sapphire that is manually polished.
- 15 Days in the Royal Penthouse Suite, President Wilson Hotel, Geneva, Switzerland ($975,000): $65,000 per night for 18,000 square feet that include four bedroom, six bathrooms, private elevator and a dining room that seats 26. Room service is available 24 hours a day.
- Two years of service for a domestic staff of five ($1.1 million): Highest annual salaries for employees with at least two years of on-the-job experience including supervisory butler ($180,000), valet ($70,000), private chef ($80,000), personal secretary ($150,000) and housekeeper ($80,000).
- Generous donation to the author of 20 Things You Can Buy for About a Million Dollars ($1 million). And he’ll even write you your very own personalized hub.