- Personal Finance
Highest Interest Savings Account - Make the Most on Your Money - Smarty Pig
With a name like Smarty Pig this may not be a bank that you brag about having....not exactly a Swiss Bank account..but, the Pig has its advantages! I leanred this in basically forcing my firlfriend to sign up for an account. We had both been using Ally as they usually had the best interest rates, but we have a decent amount in savings and even a small difference in rates can add up to big money! She really did not want an account as she said it was "silly" and did not sound like a big stable bank...I reminded her about Washington Mutual going under....
So the main reason you are reading this is you are looking for a good place to stash your dough and make more than the pathetic rates out there for most savings accounts. The next best place I could find to Smarty Pig was Capital One which, when you factor in their little 10% bonus on the interest you earn each quarter might reach 1.4%. Smarty Pig is a FULL 2.14% at last check up to $50,000!!!!
Ok, so Smarty Pig does things a little differently. They are backed by some pretty big, old and stable banks (such as West Bank which has been around for over 100 years) but they are pretty innovative and I love that!! When you set up and account you create different "goals." Think of these goals like little sub accounts. Smarty Pig started out as a way for people to save for purchases instead of using credit cards etc. I really do not care about that aspect but here are some tips to make using them easier and less confusing,. Once I got the hang of things I actually realized I liked them BETTER than the traditional banks as it is easier to keep my savings goals seperate.
- Make as many goals as you want, for example, I have goals for "emergency fund," "car repairs," "vacation," remodeling," and "general savings."
- You can have as many goals as you want but any money you have OVER your first $50,000 gets a lower interest rate.
- You can make transfers using ACH just like most other accounts HOWEVER, you have to close your goal to get the cash out of it, so it is a good idea to have multiple goals with smaller amounts if you think you might need the cash pretty often, that way you don't have to transfer it all back to your bank, then send back what you don't need to The Pig
- You can choose to have them send you a check or a pre-paid debit card as well as gift cards to many stores. This might be good for those who would like some help budgeting as it limits and focuses your spending abilities.
- Home Depot 10% off Coupon - How to Svae 10% at Home Depot on Every Purchase
I wrote another article that went into some depth about key things to do and not do when you are working on any type of a project where you need to go to Home Depot or Lowes. Many people have mentioned that...
- How to Make Money buying Coins from the US Mint - Get Credit Card rewards on Cash Purchases!
So maybe you have heard about this and maybe you have not. There have been a few articles out there and there are numerous forums that discuss it, but as far as I know, there is no short, sweet, "how to". ...
- Top 3 Silver Bullion Coins to Buy - Protect against Inflation- Lowest Silver Prices
This list is going to be a little different than my Gold Coin list. When we are buying silver, there is a much lower chance of getting a fake coin and there tends to be a much lower markup over the spot...
- 10 Greatest Bar Songs of all Time - Ever
This article required YEARS of hard drinking and investigative research in hundreds of bars, pubs, clubs, lounges and parties on 4 continents. Lucky for you....I am your man...and have been preparing to...