- Personal Finance
Forclosure or Loan Modification!
Who Can We Trust?
All the names have been changed for a good reason, to protect the guilty..
It all started in December 2009. We got into a Loan Modification with our Mortgage Company starting about the end of December 2009. It seemed that they were running me around in circles asking for the same papers over and over again, and it seemed like I was not getting anywhere with them. After about a month, a company called us, I will call them PJ Finance Company. That was the beginning of February, they wanted to know if we were interested in having them do a Loan Modification. I told the man that I was starting to get concerned about what was going on with our mortgage company, but was not sure yet. He continued to talk me into signing up with them and I asked how much it was and what they did. I asked him if they had an in house attorney that would be involved with it and he said yes. I also asked how long it would take to get the Loan Modification and he said about 3 1/2 months to 4 months. I asked if I went with them, would it be guaranteed that I would not be forclosed on as long as they were handling it. He said yes, as long as they were involved, the mortgage company cannot forclose on us. I will call this man Dennis Slye, I asked Dennis if they were licensed in the state of Pennsylvania and he said yes, he kept telling me that they could get a loan modification in no time since lawyers and company's like their's had more clout than if I tried to do it myself with the mortgage company. So I agreed to go with them. There was one thing I did not like about him though, and I proceeded to tell him, he kept calling me dear and finally I just bluntly told him to stop using the terms of endearment with me that I was not "his dear" and I did not like it.
Started With PJ Finance Company
- February 8, 2010. Dennis Slye faxed me a list of items that they needed. I told him that I already had a package that I sent to the Mortgage Company and if I could send that to them and then if they could see if there was anymore that they need they could let me know. He said yes. So I faxed them 22 pages of our personal documents on February 8th, 2010 -February 11, 2010. I spoke to Dennis Slye and he said he was sending me a contract to sign and I asked him what if we do not get a loan modification through them, would they return the $2010 check I sent them! He reassured me that there is nothing to worry about again, that they will return our money, that it is stated so in the contract.
- February 13, 2010. We received a letter from our Mortgage Co. requesting four things from me, 1) A signed most recent tax return, 2) All tax return schedules. 3) Proof of income for borrower, and 4) Current 3 months profit and loss statement listing income and expenses.
- I didn't hear from them again for sometime. Iona Blackhead was assigned to take care of our Loan Modification and that was who I was to speak too.
- March 9, 2010. PJ Finance Company faxed me the Contract and we signed it and sent it back.
- March 9, 2010. Minnie Buzzard faxed me a letter to request three things, 1) Bank Statements for two months, 2) Homeowners Insurance Declaration and 3) Copy's of ID's. I faxed them.
Mortgage Co. or PJ Finance Co.
- April 13, 2010. We received another letter from our Mortgage Co. stating they needed some of the same information that I already faxed them, plus more. I faxed it to PJ Finance Co. so they could fax it to my Mtg. Co.
- April 20, 2010. I faxed PJ Finance Co. 13 more sheets of information, plus bank statements that Ms. Iona Blackhead requested.
- April 28, 2010. I was going over what I faxed to PJ Finance Co. and saw that I sent them one of the wrong bank statements so I called Iona Blackhead and left a message on her phone to let her know and sent it to her right away.
- May 3, 2010. We woke up this morning and was greeted at the door with a Deputy Sheriff by the name of Jack Reaper, who presented us with the Forclosure notice from "Deutsche Bank who you can Trust Co", ( saying that we have been sued in court). My heart felt like it had just leaped out of my chest and hit the floor. I tried to call Iona Blackhead about it but the phone recorder said to leave a message and they will call me back! I called later again and the recorder said the samething. This was between 1pm and 5pm. I continued to call them from May 3rd to May 6th and finally got ahold of them. Iona said she did not receive it by fax so I faxed it to her again! She gave me the same fax number and I faxed it and called her and then my husband and I drove 16 miles to a store to fax it to her again, just to make sure she received it. She finally said she got it!
- May 4, 2010. I called Bobbie at my Mortgage Co. and he told me that the last time the Mortgage Co. heard from PJ Finance Co. was April 20th when Lisa Shetty called them.
Mortgage Co. or PJ Finance Co.
The Run Around!
- By this time I was really beginning to feel like nothing I did mattered. That is why I did not stop talking to the Mortgage Company, like I was told to do! I did not know who I could trust!
- May 5, 2010. I finally got ahold of the receptionist at PJ Finance Co. and told her that I had been calling them for days and only their recorder would pick up. I told her that I left a message more than once and no one called me back! Why? She gave me some lame excuse that their phones and computers were down because they had 7 new phones installed and it affected them and they were not getting their calls and the computers did not work! She transferred me to Iona Blackhead, and I proceeded to tell her that I faxed her the forclosure notice that we received on May 3rd and asked if she had received it and she said no. I also called Dee Dinger after speaking to Iona Blackhead, she is the Hud Servicer for our Mortgage in Meadville. I made an appointment with her because I started getting quite concerned that PJ Finance Company was doing the same to us as our Mortgage Co. I had the feeling that PJ Finance was not doing their job right, and I had alot of difficulty trying to speak to them this month. I had the feeling that they were doing it on purpose.
- May 6, 2010. I could sense that something was not right, since I just experienced not being able to get ahold of them for almost two weeks. Now here it is May 6th and no loan modification.
- May 7, 2010. I sent PJ Finance Co. the paper work from the Attorneys' and asked if they would call me on it. I tried to call them all day and the phone always had a busy signal.
- May 11, 2010. I called Dee Dinger at Hud and told her what was going on and she gave me an appointment to come in on Tuesday to her office and bring all our information. While I was there the lady that I spoke with at the Mortgage Co. on May 10th ( Maggie) called Dee and she tells her to tell me, that she gives me 2 days (till Thursday) the 13th to fax the Mortgage Company, three months bank statements and three months profit and loss statements and letter of hardship.
- May 11, 2010. From May 11th-13th, I worked frantically to get all the financial papers for the past three months done. It consisted of 30 pages of information for February, March and April. I faxed it to the Mortgage Company before the deadline of Thursday 5pm. I had very little sleep. By this time my hair had started falling out and I was no longer sleeping more than an hour or two at a time, and my BP was getting very high.
- May 26, 2010. We received a letter for the second time stating that the Hamp Program denied us again. The account was still in review for another workout, yet my husband made over $6,000 the last two months, April and May. I could not understand why we were being denied. The first denial he averaged $4,000 and that was not enough income, now it is too much they told us!
Is Anyone Authorized?
- June 1, 2010. I received a letter in the mail today from my Mortgage Company telling me that Iona Blackhead, from PJ Finance Company has just been authorized to speak to them on my behalf on May 27th and for the Mortgage Co. to release account information to them. I WAS FLABERGHASTED TO SAY THE LEAST, ALL OF THIS TIME SHE WAS HANDLING OUR LOAN MODIFICATION, AND SHE WAS NOT EVEN AUTHORIZED TO SPEAK IN OUR BEHALF, for our loan Modification since the day we started, February 2nd, 2010. Plus the whole time she was not even speaking to our mortgage company at all. I realized that what the mortage company was telling me was the truth.
- June 1, 2010. I decided to call my Mortgage Co. and I spoke with Maria, and I asked her to do me a favor and check for me on her computer how many times anyone from PJ Finance Co. was calling in our behalf! She said since they keep a record of it, she would pull it up for us. She said between the dates of 2/11/2010 and 6/3/2010 these people called:
Iona Blackhead = May 26th to get Authorized, Minnie Buzzard = March 12th to get Authorized, and Lisa Shetty = May 11th to get Authorized. All to get authorized to speak in our behalf. Only two of the calls did they mention anything about our Loan Modification.
- June 2, 2010. I called Dennis Slye on his cell phone because it was after business hours and no one would answer the phone. I told him that I did not want to go any further with his company and was getting another Lawyer and that I wanted our money back. I also reminded him that their contract also states that if they don't get us a Loan Modification then they will return our money, that Iona Blackhead said that we should have had a Loan Modification by the end of April or May.
- It is now June 2nd. I also told him that our Mortgage Co. said they only received 4 phone calls from them, in our behalf and two were to get their authorization. Then I asked them if it were possible to get a loan modification with only two phone calls! They told meNO! They should have called every week. That is when Dennis started screaming to me over the phone as loud as he could. My husband happened to walk into the room at that time and took the phone from me and heard it and he started screaming back at him, Dennis finally stopped screaming when he heard a man yelling back at him. Dennis appologized and said he had a tooth ache. I told him that Iona Blackhead, did not even get authorized till May 27th, and we have been denied twice now and that I believe our Loan Modification is not being handled right. I said, I suppose there is no in house Lawyer then? He said that they were fired right after they hired them, and there was no in house Lawyer right after I signed up with them. He also told me that the Mortgage Company's always lie to us all the time and that he even called there and PJ Finance Co. had to of called our Mortgage Co. at least 15 times or more times, and I said that is not what they are telling me!!!!!!!!!! He said he would talk to Darla and have her call me, I said okay!
Hello, Is Anyone there?
- June 3, 2010. It is now Friday, I tried to call PJ Finance Co. twice, the phone said no one is there and to call back later. I have tried to call most of the day. It is now 4pm my time, 1pm their time. Finally I reached Darla and she said she would look into it and get back to me Monday sometime. I said okay.
- June 6, 2010. It is Monday morning now, I waited for a few hours and called in the early afternoon. The receptionist answered and said she would first have to pull the file. Well, I know one thing. If I were going to call someone back on Monday to talk to them, I sure as heck would have had that file sitting on my desk all weekend and not filed yet! That really did not set right with me. Then the receptionist tells me she will have Darla call me later! Well, she never did call me and I waited all day to hear from her. How I know this all happened, is that I wrote about it, everytime I called them, and who I talked with and what they said. I learned to do it a long time ago, with another company who was churning my account.
- June 8, 2010. I wrote a letter to PJ Finance Company requesting our money to be returned to us. They never answered.
- June 8 - June 21st. They refused to answer my phone calls of which I called just about everyday. Even the receptionist would answer a few times and would put me on hold and leave me there, and then hang up on me without talking.
- July 1, 2010. I called Dennis Slye again, he did not answer my call. I left messages. I wanted to know what he was doing to get our money returned to us. I told him that it was not the end of it.
- July 1, 2010. I received a letter from the CFO of PJ Finance Co. This is what it said. "After a careful review of your file, we have determined that you will not receive a refund. Our decision was based on the following; contractual obligations having been met, office hours committed to servicing, numerous attempts to secure a modification, communication between our office and you, communication between our office and your lender, our earnest efforts and research of other finanancial programs that you did not qualify for. It is with our deepest regret and sincere apology that we must close your file at this time. If you have any questions or need our assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to call"
Visit to the State Police
I decided to go to the State Police Department here in Cranberry. I spoke with a state policeman and told him what was going on and he called Dennis Slye on the phone and told him that I was there in the office and he wanted to put me on the phone to talk to him and Dennis Slye refused to talk to me. He told the deputy that anyone could be in the office saying that they were me and he would not know the difference. The Deputy could not force him to talk with me. He didn't know what to advise me.
So I decided that the best thing to do is send my husband Sam out to Los Angeles, 3,000+ miles to his office with my folder full of notes. So sometime that following month he flew out to LA and went to the office of PJ Finance Company and asked to speak to the President or CEO of the Company. The President walked out and welcomed him into a private room to speak to him. He took my folder and read it. Then he went to each and everyone who was handling our Loan Modification and asked them if it was true. They all said yes, then he went back to the room in which Sam was sitting. He preceded to ask what he could do for us and my husband asked him to please get us a Loan Modification. He said he would try real hard to get it for us. He called me and told me he is talking to Sam and assured me that he would get us a Loan Modification. I thanked him and said goodbye, and Sam thanked him and left.
Faith and Perseverance
Throughout this whole ordeal, we were in constant prayer. We kept praying and thanking God for our Loan Modification everyday! We always felt that God provided our home for us when it was impossible and that He certainly would not allow us to loose it now, so we refused to believe that we were going to loose it. We continued to praise him and still do. He is a mighty God and He hears our prayers. During the first part of the year I had to replace a roof on the other Forclosure that became a quick sale, before it was sold. Having to do it over the phone, during all of this also, made things even worse. Sometimes I had a very hard time trying to keep the paperwork separate, and at times it got very confusing. Sam had not slept in nights and neither had I. One night the Lord told me to go tell him to go to sleep that he had everything in control.
On October 20th the papers were drawn up, a writ of execution for our house to be sold in a Sheriff's Sale on December 15, 2010 at the Courthouse in Franklin. I believe it was the third thursday of November that we received a phone call from the President of PJ Finance Company informing us that we have been approved for a Loan Modification and that we would be hearing from our Mortgage Company very soon. He informed us that our house payment was lowered and our Escrow was included in the lower payment.
My husband and I just sat there and held each other and weeped for more than an hour. I told him that I would have preferred to give birth to ten more baby's, than to ever go through that again. We give God all the glory, it is one of the hardest trials that I have ever gone through, and I am sure that Sam feels the same way. Faith and perseverance made the difference, and an angel named Robert.
Please feel free to leave a comment. It would be nice to hear from you!