ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How To File An Amended Federal Tax Return

Updated on March 24, 2011

Filing an amended tax return can be a daunting task. It certainly isn't the simplest thing. In fact the IRS website says to expect the task to take you 3.5 hours. Depending on how many amended returns you need to file, this can take a long time. I have seven to file and so far have spent about 10 hours on them. I am not done yet though.

The first thing to do is gather all the information that you need. You need your old return, form 1040X, and any new information that is causing you to file your amended return. If you don't have a copy of your old return, you can request one from the IRS or the state. It shouldn't take long to receive.

Reasons why you might need to file an amended return will vary, but make sure you state the reasons accurately on form 1040X. Be as clear as possible to try to avoid having them look into it further. You want to draw as little attention to yourself as possible when dealing with the IRS, so make sure you answer every question correctly, to the best of your knowledge.

When you fill out the form it will ask you for information from your tax return for that year. It will then ask you for any changes and finally the corrected amount. Any changes you make will probably create a trickle down affect, creating more changes. For us we had a change in our income. This created a change in our tax owed, our child tax credit and our additional child tax credit. Be careful that you find all of the places that need to be changed.

Once you have it completed you will need to mail it to the IRS, you cannot file this form online. Your tax software might help you fill out the form, but it will ask you to print it and mail it in yourself. Include any payment owed with your amended return.

Once you file an amended federal return you have to file an amended state return as well. The IRS will send a notice to your state that you amended your return. If you file it yourself and take care of it before they contact you, the penalties are less, at least in my state. On the federal return there is no way to figure out penalties, so I am assuming that they bill you after the return is filed. For state returns the forms for amending a return are different for each year, so make sure you print the right ones.

Unfortunately I am learning all to well exactly how to file amended returns. It would have been much better to have done it correctly in the beginning. We honestly didn't know we were doing it wrong at the time though, hindsight is 20/20 right? It is much better to fix these returns myself though, than wait for the IRS to figure out my mistakes. If you have an amended return to file, be proactive, be honest and get it over with as soon as possible.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • manoharv2001 profile image


      10 years ago from Bangalore - 560097, Karnataka, India

      Good hub


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)