ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Personal Finance»
  • Tax & Taxes

How To Reduce Tax Deductions At Source: Canada

Updated on September 6, 2011

What are "Tax Deductions at Source"?

Simply put, tax deductions at source are the witholding taxes that your Employer takes off your pay cheque each month. The great news is that you do have some control over being able to reduce the amount of tax deductions, especially if you usually receive a tax refund. This information will help any Canadian Employee to take immediate steps to apply for reducing tax deductions so that you can enjoy more of your money sooner!

The reason behind your Tax Refund

We all enjoy getting a nice tax refund every year, it's a little bit of extra money to put to some good use. But did you ever stop to ask yourself why you were getting a tax refund anyway? The simple truth is that you paid too much tax to the Canada Revenue Agency at source and they have a legal obligation to repay you this money. In other words, the tax deductions from source (your pay cheque) are higher than they need to be. It's like you've given the Canada Revenue Agency an interest-free loan. Unfortunately, the CRA don't pay you a single cent interest on your hard earned money, even though they've gladly held it for you in safe keeping over the year. Perhaps getting a tax refund doesn't sound like such a good idea after all?

Let's look at how it's possible to reduce your tax deductions at source by planning a little bit ahead. The process to reduce your tax deductions at source sounds as though it may be complicated, but it's really quite easy to follow these simple steps.


The Tax Benefits of an RRSP

The main reason that most Canadians enjoy a tax refund at the end of the year is due to the tax shelter benefits of contributing to an RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan). If you do make regular contributions to an RRSP, then instead of receiving a lump-sum refund at the end of the year, you can ask the Canada Revenue Agency for approval to reduce your tax deductions at source, thereby lowering your witholding taxes each and every month. This gives you more money on your pay cheques spread out over the course of the year. The extra cash will make it much easier for you to make regular contributions to your RRSP and to hit your 18% target much much sooner. Having more money to invest sooner will greatly impact your potential for a higher return in the long run.

Apply to the Canada Revenue Agency

To apply to the Canada Revenue Agency for approval to reduce your tax deductions at source, you must fill out form T1213, "Request to Reduce Tax Deductions at Source". The best time to submit the T1213 form is around November when you have a good idea of what your tax-deductable items will be for the following year. The CRA take a few weeks to process your request so by doing this you should receive your approval letter well before the start of the new year.

Supporting Documentation

To file your request you must have supporting information to validate your case to reduce your tax deductions at source:-

1. Details of how much money you intend to contribute to your RRSP. It helps if you have a pre-authorized contribution plan that you can give supporting documentation of. Remember, you are referring to the following year so if you intend to maximise your RRSP contributions and you have a good idea of what your current earnings are then you could explain on your form that you intend to contribute 18% of earnings and provide them with a supporting figure.

2. Supporting documentation for any other non-refundable tax credits you expect to claim, such as child care expenses, support payments, employment expenses, and interest expenses on investment loans.

3. Your personal information and details about your Employer.

Once you have gathered all the information you need, you are ready to submit your form to the Canada Revenue Agency. Your local tax office information can be found on the CRA website.

Give the Approval Letter to Your Employer

Once you receive your approval letter from the CRA, you will need to give the letter to your Employer and keep a copy for yourself. Do this as soon as you receive the letter so that your Employer can start to reduce your tax deductions at source in plenty of time for your first pay cheque of the year. It's always a good idea to follow up with your Employer just to make sure that payroll has processed the change in tax deductions. You will certainly notice the difference when you get more money on your pay cheques!

Enjoy your money now, rather than waiting over a year for a tax refund!



    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Cloverleaf profile image

      Cloverleaf 7 years ago from Calgary, AB, Canada

      Great advice, Mark :-)

    • profile image

      Mark Randall 7 years ago

      When claiming different deductions on your taxes it is always important to make sure that you keep documentation or receipts. For example, if you are donating to a charity make sure that you ask for a voucher. This way if there is any question about it on your taxes you will have the appropriate information to back it up.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: ""

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)