Lawn Care Business Strategies For Dummies
Lawn Care Business Start Up
Many of you have considered starting a lawn care business to supplement your present income or hopefully be successful enough to quite your job and do it full time. But most of us have not followed through because of lack of faith, that it would be successful. Well think again my friend. The truth is, anyone can be a success at starting their own lawn care service. It does not take much skill, almost everyone has mowed the lawn, pull weeds, fixed up flower beds, etc.. In this hub I will give you a brief overview of the entire lawn care business, how to get clients, and how to be successful at it.
How To Start A Successful Business
Starting Your New Business
A lawn service is a service you provide for a property owner who doesn't have time to mow their grass or really doesn't want to. The first thing I suggest is make a professional looking flier, and place it on as many doors in your neighborhood as you can. This will allow you to get your foot in the door and let people know you are in business. Also place your fliers in as many grocery stores, hardware stores, and local shops as you can. It helps if you have a catchy business name like, The Lawn Shark, The Cutting Edge, The Mow Shop, etc... Use your imagination.
Lawn Care Business Promotion Ideas
1. Existing customers are a great idea for getting the word out about your lawn service. Kindly give them some of your fliers and ask if they would hand them out to friends and family.
2. Hand them out- Pick your targeted area and just walk the streets, handing out fliers and asking people if they would like a free estimate to mow their lawn.
3. Door to door delivery- Select houses in your target area and go house to house and hang the fliers on peoples doors. You can get the print shop to make up fliers that fit nicely over the door handle.
4. Insertion in local publications- Many local newspapers and other publications will insert your flier into it for a small fee.
5. Waiting rooms- Laundromats, dentist offices, doctor offices, are great places to put your fliers.
6. Parking lots- Just simply place your flier under the wipers of peoples cars at the local supermarket, be sure it is not a windy day because this might tarnish your reputation if the fliers are blown all over town.
7. Community boards- These bulletin or community boards are located at schools, churches, court houses, etc.. Look for them and politely ask permission to hang your flier.
8. Busy events- Carnivals, garden shows, community garage sales, etc.. are a great place to get the word out.
9. Direct mail- Purchase a mailing list of targeted prospects, and mail them your flier.
10. PO drop box- Some post offices will arrange to have a copy of your flyer inserted into each one of their PO Boxes. A small fee is charged for each flier.
When Starting Any Business It Is Important To Make Some Contacts
Once you have finished hanging all of your fliers, it is now time to call all of the local real estate agents and let them know about your lawn care service. Inform them that you provide basic lawn service for any vacant properties they may have. Odds are they have one, know of one, that needs your service now.
Put An Add On Craigslist
After you have done the above steps, I suggest putting up an ad on Craigslist in the services section. You will be amazed at how many replies you get from people want lawn service. Always put a phone number in your ad, and always be polite and professional over the phone.
Lawn Care Business Equipment
A lawn care business requires that you haul equipment from job to job. So you will need a reliable truck or a truck and trailer would be even better. Other lawn care equipment will be needed, like mowers, blowers, trimmer, edger, rake, shovel, etc... Always keep your equipment in good running order. Sharpen blades, change the oil, and spark plugs. There is nothing more frustrating that getting to a job and your equipment does not work. This will save time and make you more money in the long run if all your equipment works correctly.
How To Service Your Equipment
Deliver More Than Expected To Your Customers
When you are doing a job for a customer, always do a better job than the customer is expecting. Pull extra weeds, pick up sticks and haul them away for the owner. This will ensure repeat business, and endless word of mouth advertising, which is worth its weight in gold.
What To Charge Customers For Lawn Service
Another difficult task in setting up a lawn care service is knowing what to charge your customers. This is actually very simple. First, estimate your entire cost (including gas, oil, etc.) and add up to 10% to that. Then figure how many hours you feel it will take you complete the job. (consider travel time in the equation as well) and multiply that by the amount you feel you should be paid per hour (Never work for less than $20 per hour). Add those two numbers together and add 30% to cover your taxes and insurance. This is a fair way to figure out your pay, and your customer will appreciate it very much.
How To Sharpen A Lawn Mower Blade
Additional Help Topics On Starting Your Lawn Care Business
Proper mowing height
Cutting grass as short as possible for your customer is not always the way to go. Most customers want you to do this because in their minds they think the shorter the grass is cut, the longer the time before your next visit. This is somewhat true, but is not always the best scenario for the lawn. Below is a chart of different lawn types and the proper height to cut them at.
Mowing Height (in inches)
2 to 3
2 to 3
2 to 3
2 to 3
1/4 to 3/4
1 to 1.5
2 to 3
Other factors can contribute to how often and how tall to cut the grass. Lawn health, soil consistency, nutrient level, and the amount of water the lawn can absorb should all be considered.
Other Service You Can Offer To Your Lawn Customers
1. Leaf Raking
2. Gutter Cleaning Service
3. Branch Removal
4. Weed pulling
5. Power Washing Service
6. Junk Removal
8. Fertilization Of Lawn
9. Sod installations
10. Mulch Installation
11. Apply insecticide
Free Business Cards And Business Card Templates For Your Lawn Business
- Vistaprint - Business Cards - Full Color Printing - Digital Printing Company | Vistaprint
Stand out from the crowd on a budget with free business cards! At Vistaprint, you can customize all of your marketing materials to match your business look.
Easy Flyer Creator
- Easy Flyer Creator - CNET Download.com
Software to create, print and share interactive flyers, brochures, leaflets, certificate, door hangers, tickets from templates.
Need More Help, Then Join The Forums Below
- GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum
LawnSite.com #1 - The Largest, Original, and Most Visited Meeting Place For Lawn Care & Landscaping Professionals - Free!
- Help Starting a New Lawn Care Service - Small Business Ideas Forum
Help Starting a New Lawn Care Service General Small Business Issues
Franchise Opportunities In The Lawn Maintenance Industry
- Lawn Doctor Inc.
- NaturaLawn of America
- NiteLites Outdoor Lighting Franchise
- Outdoor Lighting Perspectives
- Spray Green Lawn Care
- Spring-Green Lawn Care
- U.S. Lawns
- Weed Man
Reputable lawn and landscape Associations
- American Horticulture Society
- American Nursery & Landscape Association
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- Association of Professional Landscape Designers
- California Landscape Contractors Association
- Independent Turf and Ornamental Distributors Association
- The Irrigation Association
- Landscape Maintenance Association
- National Gardening Association
- North American Rock Garden Society
- Organic Landscape Alliance
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Engine Service Association
- Professional Grounds Management Society
- Professional Landcare Network
- Turfgrass Producers International
More Income Ideas
- How To Start Your Very Own Lawn Care Business On A Shoestring, And Make Huge Profits, While Keeping
This hub explains the necessary steps involved to start a successful lawn care business, where you have the ability to make $200.00 a day.
- Scrap Junk Metals, Get The Most Weight
How to scrap junk metals and make the most money.
- How To Start A Pet Sitting Business And Make A Good Second Income
Business plan on how to start a pet sitting business tomorrow.
- How To Start An Online Store And Make Money While You Sleep
Step by step guide on how to start an online store.
- How To Sale Your Plasma To Donor Centers, Help Trauma Victims, Make Some Extra Money, And Feel Good
Donating plasma is a wonderful thing to do for the community, and it can make you a little extra cash. This article explains what plasma is, how to donate it, and how it helps others.
- How To Scrap Copper From Discarded Electronics And Make Lots Of Money
Tips on how to make money scrapping copper wire from everyday items.
- How To Make Huge Money With An Ebay Business
- Easy Methods To Make Money In Your Spare Time, Be Successful At Starting A Home Business. Easy Start
Descriptions of home businesses that you can start with little or no money, and make a good profit.
- Epic Money Making Ideas.
How To Make Tons Of Money On The Weekends Or Your Spare Time, Starting Your Own Part Time Business From Home. These Businesses can be started on a shoestring and can yield high profits.
- How To Make Explosive Income, In The Cleaning Business
Starting a cleaning business is an easy and lucrative thing to do. You can start this type of business on a shoestring budget. Details on where to start, how to get customers, and what to charge.
- How To Scrap Valuable Metals, Like Copper, Aluminum, And Brass From Everyday Items, And Have A Payda
How to collect valuable metal like Copper, Aluminum, and Brass from everyday items, and make a great income. Details on how to find scrap metal, how to tear it down, and sale it for a profit.
starting a lawn care business, how to start a lawn care business, lawn care business name, start a lawn care business, lawn care business tips, lawn care business plan, how to start a lawn care business, lawn care pricing, lawn maintenance, lawn service, lawn business, opening a lawn care business, lawn cutting service, lawn service contract, lawn service names, lawn service prices, lawn cutting service, how much for lawn service, professional lawn service, mowing service, how to start a lawn care service, lawn maintenance service, start a lawn business, how do i start a lawn care business, how do i start a lawn maintenance business, tips on starting a lawn care business, starting a landscaping business, steps to starting a lawn care business, things needed to start a lawn care business, tips for starting a lawn care business, lawn maintenance, start a business, steps to starting a business, starting a home business, starting a small business, steps to start a business, start up business ideas, check list for starting a business, start a new business, ideas for starting a business, how to start a business from home, start your business, starting a business tips, starting a business plan, starting a business from scratch, help starting a business, start home business, starting own business, mowing the lawn, Tips on starting a lawn care service business, lawn business, lawn care business tips, lawn care service cost, cost of a lawn mowing service, lawn mower service, steps to starting a business, ways to make money, make money fast, make money now, ways for teens to make money, make money fast free, make money easy