- Personal Finance»
- Frugal Living
How to Get Free Music Legally: MP3s, Streaming, and Renting
The Best Ways to Get Free Music
There are several ways to get free music. This article covers how to get free music downloads, how to stream music for free, and how to rent CDs and other audio content for free.
How do you usually listen to music?
The Best Free MP3 Download Sites
MP3 downloads can be saved to your computer for listening to immediately and for saving to your media library. If you save a download to your media library, you can then add the songs to an MP3 player, like an iPod, or burn them to a CD.
Here are some places to get free MP3 downloads:
- iTunes Store- iTunes offers free music downloads through their store. They offer a different set of free downloads each week. They often spotlight new artists, but will sometimes offer free downloads of famous musicians as well. I've been able to get hundreds of free downloads this way and have gotten songs from artists ranging from Casey James to Young the Giant to Elton John. When visiting the iTunes store, scroll down to the "Free on iTunes" section to see their current selection of free songs.
- Amazon- Amazon offers a section on their site with completely free music downloads. Also, often if you purchase music from Amazon, they will include a free music download of any song that they have in their library. Type in "Free Downloads" in the Amazon search bar to see their current selection.
- Spinner.com- AOL and Spinner offer a free MP3 Download of the day. Like iTunes, there is often a spotlight on new artists, but they will sometimes offer tracks by more established artists.
- MadeLoud.com- This site provides free music downloads typically of underground bands and solo artists. The songs are rated so you have an easy way to find the popular songs. This is also a great way to find up and coming artists.
- FreePlayMusic.com- This site offers free songs that do not have royalties. These songs are typically not the usual mainstream tracks, but are great for using in your own videos and presentations and also make great background music.
If you were to type in "Free music downloads" to your search engine, you would find plenty of sites that say that they offer all of their music downloads for free. Often times though, the users that provide these songs are not legally able to distribute the music. Please stick to trusted sources to ensure that you are not ripping off an artist and that you are covering yourself legally as well. Visit the hub on Free Legal mp3 Downloads for more ideas.
How to Find Free Music Streaming
Streaming is a way to listen to music real-time. It is similar to listening to the radio, but there is a much wider selection and much fewer commercials. You can also stream music directly to your computer, phone, and other devices that have an internet connection.
Here are some great sites that offer free streaming:
- Grooveshark.com- This site allows you to search for music, create playlists, and listen to the music from their site. They also allow you to share information with Facebook friends and Twitter followers to help you find and share songs that you enjoy. The songs are available to listen to on-demand, but you cannot download these songs to your computer or a device.
- Playlist.com- This site is very similar to Grooveshark, but doesn't have as nice of a search interface. The songs are very nicely categorized by genres and also integrates with social media.
- Pandora.com- This is quickly becoming one of the most popular music streaming services. This site is also similar to the sites above, but offers great Apps to utilize on your iPhone, Android, iPods and other devices. They have a great selection and a great reputation.
- Spotify.com- Spotify is a great music collection with millions of tracks. Spotify can easily be added to any device and also has great social media components.
- Audiolizer.com- This site is similar to the sites listed above. This site allows you to also import your iTunes songs and play your playlists directly from your iPhone or Android phone.
- Jango.com- Similar to the above sites with great applications for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
- iTunes- Visit the "Radio" section in the left-side toolbar to play unlimited songs from the iTunes program on your desktop.
As you can see, there are many sites that offer free music streaming. Since you are not permitted to download the songs, you are able to listen to access a lot more music legally. The sites above are just a sampling, but there are a lot more sites available if you perform an internet search.
Free Music, CD, and MP3 Rentals
Renting music is another great way to save money and listen to your favorite artists and songs.
- Local Library- This is the best resources that I have found for checking out free music. Almost all libraries allow you to rent CDs and some libraries even have tapes and MP3 formats to rent. I love checking out music and audiobooks from my library in preparation for a trip. Check out the selection that your local library offers.
Test Your Free Music Knowledge!view quiz statistics
Share Your Ideas!
I hope this article has given you some good resources for how to find free music legally. Please let me know if you have any other good sources as I would love to include them. Good luck and keep dancing!