How to Make Extra Money with your Cab Service
Offer a Service like No Other
When a passenger enters your cab and you start the ticker, what is the first thing your passenger reaches for? I think in this day and age, the answer is obvious. Most people will say their 'smartphone'.
It has been estimated that every person in the world has at least one smartphone. By 2016, a quarter of the world will be using a smartphone. This means, every one including their pet will have a smart device on them. Over 2 billion consumers are using a smartphone today and the numbers keep going up.
As long as you are not a cabbie in London, you can offer a WI-FI service to your passengers when they are riding in your cab. Unless your passenger has a good data plan, they would opt out of their data plan to use WI-FI instead. Visitors from outside the country will probably be your best customers because they want to get in touch with their family or friends at home to let them know they have arrived safely.
It's not odd to think of bringing WI-Fi to automobiles. Some cars already have Wi-Fi built into them. As long as there is reception, WI-Fi can be streamed throughout the car. Another add-on to provide in your cab is a hot USB plug for your customers to charge their devices while on the go. In the near future, watch for induction styled chargers where no plug-ins are required. Your customer's devices will automatically charge in their pocket or briefcase.
With WI-Fi in the cab, you can provide entertainment using mounted tablets on the back of the headrests. You can stream sports, news or movies to the tablets for your customers' enjoyment.
Lightning Round Summary
Here are the steps you must take:
- With your cellphone plan, check if it is feasible to make a hotspot.
- If not then check with a carrier for a mobile hotspot.
- Familiarize yourself with creating a hotspot in your cab.
- Choose a password that is easy such as the taxi number.
- Make up signs and display them inside the cab offering WI-FI Hotspot Available for a reasonable amount.
- When a passenger agrees to pay for the hotspot, turn it on and tell your passenger the password required to connect. Once connected, start the fare.
Once the hotspot is on, your passengers can get their email, surf or text instead of watching the meter.
Popular Mobile Hotspots
Here is a roundup of mobile hotspots you can buy in the US, Canada and International:
- AT&T Unite
- Netgear Zing (Sprint)
- Samsung LTE Mobile Hotspot Pro
- Verizon JetPack 4G LTE
- Freedom Pop Freedom Spot Photon
- XCom Global
- TEP Wireless Pocket WIFI
Google each one of these products and find out which one will serve you the best.