- Personal Finance»
- Income & Making Money
How to Make Money Installing Apps on your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or Android phone
*If you already know about and are looking for more apps like AppRedeem, < follow this link or the one at the bottom of this article*
Looking for an easy way to make a little extra cash online?
Well, that's what I was doing yesterday and I found something that caught my eye; something I hadn't really thought about before. Everyone talks about ways to make money on the internet, but this is something you can do on the go with your mobile device! There is a really cool app available that are out there right now which will pay you to download and rate apps! So I did a little digging to make sure it would be worth the time, and after seeing what others had to say about it, I decided to try it for myself.
The app is called AppRedeem and can be used on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Android. Now, it doesn't promise to make you a millionaire, but the idea is that with $1 here, or 15¢ there, these things add up and make sense if you're just sitting around killing time playing with your phone anyway--like we all tend to do a million times a day!
Why does AppRedeem pay us to download apps?
App developers go to companies like AppRedeem to help develop buzz for their newly released apps. When their app is good, they benefit from the word of mouth of the people who try it and love it. When their product needs some work, they also get the benefit of constructive feedback via their ratings and comments in the App Store so they know where improvements need to be made. Plus, especially for paid apps, they are able to enjoy a wider post-launch distribution of their product more quickly by providing them for free or at a discount through these services, OR, as in many cases, free plus a cash bonus!
There are other companies out there like AppRedeem, such as AppRebates or Apperang (the latter of which is still being talked about but for some reason is not currently accepting new members). I haven't tried AppRebates yet, but I probably will eventually. It just doesn't seem to have as many available apps, and most of the ones are just a straight rebate-- you pay 99¢ for the app, they give you 99¢ back after you download and write a review about it. I only saw one or two that offer a bonus on top of the rebate, so like I said, I'll get around to it eventually, but I like AppRedeem for now!
AppRedeem Reward Options
There are tons of apps available through AppRedeem, and therefore lots of chances to score points. And you can actually do everything directly through your device with the AppRedeem app itself (some of the others require download via iTunes on your computer then syncing your device, then going back to iTunes to rate it; sounds like more of a pain!).
AppRedeem offers a wide variety of rewards to choose from. Here is just a handful of them (UPDATED 8/22/12):
- PayPal payment* (cash! Minimum balance to redeem = 150 pts)
- Amazon.com gift card claim code (Minimum balance to redeem = 1,000 pts)
- Starbucks card claim code (Minimum balance to redeem = 5,000 pts)
- PlayStation credit (Minimum balance to redeem = 10,000 pts)
- REI gift card claim code (Minimum balance to redeem = 25,000 pts)
- Fandango gift card claim code (Minimum balance to redeem = 25,000 pts)
- Macy's gift card claim code (Minimum balance to redeem = 25,000 pts)
- Nordstrom gift card claim code (Minimum balance to redeem = 25,000 pts)
- Pottery Barn gift card claim code (Minimum balance to redeem = 25,000 pts)
*PLEASE NOTE: in order to claim payment via PayPal as your redemption, you will need a verified PayPal account. This means you have linked your PayPal account to a confirmed bank account. PayPal accounts are free and easy to set up if you have an email address and a bank account.
How AppRedeem Works; Get Started Earning Cash Now!
- For iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad users, install the app by visiting m.appredeem.com with your Safari browser on your device and download the AppRedeem app for free. Follow the instructions to add the app icon to your home screen. For Android users, install the AppRedeem free app on your phone through the Android Market.
- Once inside the application, tap on the 'Settings' icon to create an account. All this requires is an email address, password, and a screen name. IMPORTANT! in order to be paid via PayPal you must set up your AppRedeem account with the same email as your verified PayPal account.
- Get started downloading and rating apps! Choose from about 50 apps inside AppRedeem. Some are free apps, and some are paid. ALL will earn you points, but please BEWARE that some apps cost more than you will earn back. Essentially, you are getting these apps at a discount, which is great if you love them and want to keep them anyway. But keep in mind, if you're trying to make a little extra money, that earning 990 points on a $1.99 app means you are still out of pocket $1.00 + tax! (10 points = 1¢) All the info on price and points are visible from the list view in the 'Apps' section of AppRedeem.
- Choose an app from the list and tap the 'Get App' button. Confirm that you want to be taken to the app's purchase page in the App Store on your phone, then install the app from there. You must open the app once it has been installed, and play around with it for a bit (about a minute at least).
- Go back into the AppRedeem app and a rating screen should pop up. Choose how many stars and write a review and hit 'done'! A message will pop up telling you how many points you earned. NOTE: you don't actually have to write anything if you don't want to. I do try to give honest feedback because I think that will encourage app developers to continue to work with companies like AppRedeem and keep wanting to pay people like us for the service. You can also delete any unwanted apps after rating them.
- Refer friends and earn extra points! You will earn 250 points for every friend who signs up, and they will also get a bonus 250 points for using you as a referral. If you sign up for AppRedeem, use my code coatblue8 to earn your bonus--and we'll both get the points! (After you sign up, you can choose the option to enter a bonus code on the list with the apps you can download). **UPDATE 8/22/12: If you sign up for AppTrailers as well, wait and use this bonus code through that app for 1,000 points in your AppRedeem account!**
- AppRedeem also has a 'Level Up' feature, which means that you get more bonus points with every level you complete! At level 5, my bonus was 2430 points ($2.43!). I gotta say that's kind of awesome for just killing time playing with my iPhone while half-watching a crappy movie...
I tried a free app first, just to make sure it would work. I earned 530 points plus a bonus 100 points for something else--and went to redeem my .63 cents right away. Once you redeem your points for a PayPal payment and see the approved message, you will receive your money in your PayPal account within one minute!! After I saw that it worked, I went back and downloaded almost all the other apps, one by one. At the end of the day, I had 26,490 points!
ASIDE: I did have a little scare at the end of it all, when I went to redeem my points for PayPal cash...I don't know if it was a glitch or if you can only redeem once a day, but it said "this reward is no longer available, please choose another reward"...and you can bet I was steaming mad, thinking I had been scammed! I tried about 30 more times and then finally gave up, thinking I would wait at least 24 hours from the time of my first cashout and hope -and pray- that it would work. Sure enough, thank goodness, it worked for me when I tried to redeem again this afternoon.
So, you can see the screenshot below of my first test payment of 63¢, and then my second payment of $26.49 all from downloading apps!
My first two payments from AppRedeem from downloading and rating apps!
Don't forget, you can earn an extra 250 points in your AppRedeem account just by entering my bonus code coatblue8 after you sign up! I hope you have fun and make lots of money and find some great apps with AppRedeem. ***UPDATE 8/22/12: If you sign up for AppTrailers as well, wait and use this bonus code through that app instead. You will get 1,000 points for using 'coatblue8' inside of AppTrailers!***
More Apps Like AppRedeem
AppTrailers is an app like AppRedeem. Earn cash or gift cards by simply watching short videos of apps in use! AppTrailers is by the same company as AppRedeem, so be sure to sign up with the same login info as your AppRedeem account so all your points will be in one place. It's a great way to get a preview of an app before you download it, plus it's a simple way to get extra points in your AppRedeem account.
If you like the idea of making money with apps on your iPhone or Android phone, you should definitely check out another app like AppRedeem: WeReward pays you cash for simple tasks like 'checking in' at local businesses and taking short polls!
Thanks for reading! You may also be interested in some of my other articles, which can be found by clicking on my profile.
Would you like to write for HubPages? Get paid to write about the topics you love! You can find out more about joining here.