How to Make Money by Organizing a Clothes Swapping Event
Have you ever stared at your open wardrobe wondering what to wear? So many clothes, yet so many you do not wear. Some are too big, some too small, some not the right color, shade, style. Yet the items are in very good condition and you can't bear to throw them out especially if they cost a lot! That is when a clothes swap would be ideal!
The concept of a clothes swap is basically to get together a group of people to exchange items of clothing they do not wear. This helps the environment because it gives a new life to the clothes, rather then just being chucked out into a landfill. Besides, it also frees some prime space in your wardrobe leaving some space for the new swapped clothes you may acually wear!
So how can you make money by organizing a clothes swap? You do not need much aside from a venue to organize the swap and a bunch of friends. It can also be organized as a fund raising event within a school, charitable institution etc.
- Decide on a venue - The first thing to do is to decide on a suitable venue for the swap. Ideally somewhere spacious with a lot of natural light and easy accessibility. If you plan to go on a smaller scale, you may decide to do it in your own home, maybe in a yard or basement.
- Set a date - Set a date for the swap and another day prior to the swap when the swappers are able to drop off the clothes. Try to go for a day and time when most people would be able to attend. Maybe people tend to be a bit more free in the weekend, so keep that in mind.
- Set up a facebook event/Print posters - Use facebook/print posters and other social networking opportunities to invite your friends and more to the clothes swap event. Make sure to include a set of rules so as to avoid confusion.
- Preparing for the swap - Get the swappers to prepare for the swap. They are to drop off their bags of clean clothing on a pre agreed date. Each bag should be marked with contact details.
- Sift through the clothes - Sift through the clothes discarding any inappropriate clothing. Ask the swappers to return to pick their tokens. One token per accepted item of clothing. At this point the swappers are asked to pay an entrance fee and are given an entrance ticket along with their tokens.
- Sort the clothing - According to size, gender, season etc to make the swapping an easier and positive experience for your swappers.
- At the clothes swap - On the day of the swap, the swappers are allowed to choose from the selection of clothes available. One item per token. For those whose swap tokens are not enough, extra swap tokens can be purchased at the event. This creates another potential revenue source in addition to the entrance fee.
- Donate - At the end of the event, the remaining clothing gets donated to charity. None of the tokens are redeemable for money and may not be used in any other future clothes swap event.
Besides collecting a nominal entrance fee of say $5 per person, you are also likely to make extra money on the extra swap tokens purchased which ideally would cost around $2. If you wish to maximize the earnings, you may also opt to sell refreshments to the clothes swappers during the event! Although organizing an event like this takes time and work, the results are usually really worth the efforts every time I organized this! Moreover, everyone gains, you, the swappers and the charity!