- Personal Finance»
- Managing Credit Cards & Payment Options
How to Get Things for Free Using Your Credit Cards - The Hidden Benefits You May be Missing
You will be amazed at the free benefits your credit card company offers just for making purchases with your account. Read these tips and then contact your credit card to find out which ones they offer.
Stop purchasing extended warranties at the store. Some cards such as American Express will extend the manufacturers warranty on any item offering a warranty of five years or less.
Rental Car Insurance
Next time you rent a car, decline the additional collision coverage. Not only will your personal car insurance usually cover this, but your credit card may kick in for an additional amount if needed.
Travel Accident Insurance
Charge your plane, train or bus tickets and your card may cover you for Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance.
Retail Purchase Protection
Protects most items against theft or accidental damage for 90 days after purchase.
If you try to return an item within 90 days and the store won't take it back, some cards such as American Express, will refund the entire purchase price up to $300.
So many cards offer their own unique rewards programs. Shop around and find the one that is right for you, but then don't forget to use it! Also, make sure that your rewards points don't expire after a certain amount of time.
Tips for Making These Benefits Work for You
- Make sure you contact your credit card before you make your purchase to find out about their individual programs and the rules you need to follow to access your benefits.
- Make most of your purchases on the card that offers the most benefits.
- Pay your balance in full every month or these benefits won't end up being free after all.
- Shop around, you may be able to find a great card that offers lots of benefits and doesn't charge an annual fee.