How to Save Money at Target: Tips and Ways to Save
Target is a great place to stock up on everything from groceries to beauty products to clothing. College students to families with three children to older couples don't have trouble making a weekly or monthly trip to Target to buy essential items and a few indulgences. If Target is a regular destination for you, why not take a few simple steps to save a little extra money during your shopping trips? Even if you aren't interested in couponing or anything extreme, it isn't hard to start saving a few bucks. Take one or more of the following tips, and you'll be shaving noticeable savings off of each receipt in no time.
[I personally verified all of the information in this article in late December 2013. Please note that it is subject to change at any time without notice.]
How can you save money at Target?
Learning the Markdown Schedule
Comparing In Store and Online Prices
Repackaged Items / Online Returns
How to SAVE MONEY at TARGET
REDCard members also get access to exclusive Target offers!
Target REDcard Debit and REDcard Credit both give you 5% savings on every Target purchase. The application process is simple and straightforward. Once you are approved, you receive a card in the mail in 7-10 business days. As soon as you have activated your card, you can start saving.
In addition to the 5% savings in store AND at target.com, REDcards come with the following benefits:
- Free shipping at target.com with no minimum purchase or membership fee
- 30 extra days for returning items
- 1% donation of purchases to the eligible K-12 school of your choosing
Selecting a RedCard...what are the differences?
Works like a check by taking money from a checking account
Charge all Target and target.com purchases
No annual fee
No annual fee [check current rates and fees]
Secure PIN access
Manage account and make payments online
Maximum cash withdrawal of $40 at checkout in store
Target has a Pharmacy Rewards program that awards a certificate for a 5% off day of Target shopping when you fill five eligible prescriptions at their pharmacy. You can combine these savings with the REDcard discount for a 10% off shopping trip. If you are planning to make a bigger purchase, such as TV or a grill, it is great to maximize these savings. If you already use the Target pharmacy on a regular basis, there is no reason not to sign up for the rewards program.
There are hundreds of Target discounts available through their Cartwheel app, which is free for both Android and iPhone users. You can sign up with an email address or Facebook account. The discounts range from 5% to 30% and cover everything from baby to grocery to health to luggage. The app includes a number of neat features such as browsing the Cartwheel activity of your Facebook friends.
Simply add offers to a personalized Cartwheel barcode. You can print your barcode or have it scanned right on your smartphone at the store. Discounts can be used an infinite amount of times as long as they are still active. Cartwheel offers can be combined with Target REDcards and Target and manufacturer coupons.
Download the App Today
3 Easy Ways To Save Money Shopping At Target!
The Target weekly ad is readily available online through target.com for those who do not get it through a newspaper. Make sure that you are always viewing the ad for your local store to ensure that you are getting all applicable offers.
Sign up online to get an email with a weekly ad reminder and/or weekly ad picks!
- Weekly Deals In Stores Now : Target Weekly Ad
The weekly ad is also available on Android phones, iPhones, and iPads.
There are several options for shopping with coupons at Target. The general rule is that you can stack ONE Target coupon (mobile or online) with ONE manufacturer coupon. These coupons can all be used in conjunction with REDcard discounts and Cartwheel offers unless stated otherwise.
- Online. Target has coupons available right through their website at coupons.target.com. You can print these coupons or send them to your smartphone.
- Manufacturer. Don't hesitate to clip and use manufacturer coupons from newspaper coupon sections and websites.
When you shop in store at Target, don't forget to check out the coupons that you sometimes get with your receipt. They print Target exclusive coupons as well as coupons for other retail and online stores such as Sports Authority and Shutterfly. As these coupons are chosen based on your purchases, they are likely to be useful.
EXTREME COUPONING TIPS - SELECTING COUPONS - how to use coupons
Tip: The key to price matching is to keep your receipt!
Target matches prices in competitor ads. The product must have the exact same brand name and model number, and the ad must be from within seven days of the purchase. Target does not match prices from target.com or any other online retailer. However, if they put the same item on sale within one week of your purchase, they will refund the difference.
The Target markdown schedule is as follows:
- Monday: Baby items, children's clothing, office supplies / gift wrap / stationery, electronics.
- Tuesday: Home décor, domestic items, women's clothing.
- Wednesday: Food, health and beauty, garden items, toys, men's clothing.
- Thursday: Lingerie, luggage, housewares, shoes, sporting goods.
- Friday: Jewelry, automotive, cosmetics, home improvement, hardware.
Please note that it is always best practice to check with your local store to confirm the markdown schedule as there may be regional differences.
- Prices that end in an 8 (i.e. $10.08) are going to get marked down again. Prices that end in a 4 (i.e. $9.04) are not going to get any lower.
- Typically Target knocks prices down every two weeks. Items continue to be marked down until they sell or reach 75% off. The knock down day may vary in different stores.
- Target frequently uses the end caps of the aisles for discounted items. Even when these end caps are labeled "clearance," the items are often jumbled together. You may have to hunt to find the deep discounts.
- If you're looking for clearance holiday merchandise, you have to act quickly. The first three days following the holiday, items are half off. For the next three days, they are 75% off. For two days after that, they are 90% off. Whatever is left at the end of those final two days gets donated to Goodwill.
Compare In Store / Online Prices
Target does not necessarily have the same prices for items in store and online. While it may be more of a hassle than the few bucks that you could save to price compare every item, it can be worth it for larger purchases. Before you pick up a new set of furniture or a high-end camera, check out both sets of prices. Don't forget that if you have the REDcard, you'll get free shipping for the online purchases.
Online Shopping Tips
Repackaged Items / Online Returns
Most repackaged returned items and online returns are sent to the shelves at deep discounts. While their packages may be in rough shape, the items are usually just fine. You can't count on finding these returned items, but it's worth taking advantage of the great prices when you do come across them.
Don't forget to use the scanners!
When in doubt, don't hesitate to check a price with one of the in store scanners. They are strategically placed around the store and should not be hard to spot. If you frequent the same Target locations, you'll start to remember the scanner spots. You can always have a checker take an item off of your cart, but it's nice to keep a running total going as you shop so there are no major surprises.
Are you looking for more information about saving money at Target? Check out these great resources.
- All Things Target — Save Money with Target Coupons, Clearance Deals and more
- Target Savers.com | Coupons, Clearance & Deals from Target
Don't forget to like Target Savers on Facebook, too!
More money saving articles from the author.
- Frugal Storage Ideas for Small Homes: Creative, Unique Organization Methods
This article is about frugal, cheap storage ideas for small homes and houses. It contains a wide variety of creative, unique organizational methods. It includes re-usable container suggestions, purchasing resources, and general organization tips.
- Gift Wrapping With Newspaper: Creative Eco Friendly Ideas
Are you interested in eco friendly wrapping for Christmas gifts, birthdays presents, and more? Consider reaching for newspaper.
- Cheap Eco-Friendly Green Alternatives to Wrapping Paper
Are you looking for green ways to give up wrapping paper this year? Consider these frugal eco alternatives for holidays and other special occasions.
© 2013 Rose Clearfield