ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Income Tax Information for Bloggers, Publishers and Affiliates

Updated on August 1, 2014

Income Tax and Internet Marketing

If you're online publisher, blogger or affiliate marketer then one thing you need to constantly keep eye on is income tax information in your country which applies to your online income activity. As most of the online revenue models are from US, CA or Europe based networks so there are plenty of things you need to know before promoting their products or being associate of these affiliate companies. I'm listing information which applies to every publisher irrespective of his citizenship, if anything needs more relevant explanation then you should get help from tax adviser or accountant in your country.

W-8BEN Form
W-8BEN Form

W-8BEN and US Affiliate Networks

Almost every US based affiliate network asks you to fill up W-8BEN(Non-US resident) or W-8/W-2(US-resident) form before you do business with them. These forms are for those affiliates or associates who are non-us residents/residents and do business with US based affiliate networks. Make sure you fill up these forms and fax or mail to your affiliate manager from respective network before promoting their products. If you earned any amount of money and didn't filled up form for long time then chances are there your payments are likely to remain pending or will be kept on hold from 2011 and onwards.

Ask your affiliate manager if there is anything you need to do other than filling up W-8BEN/W-8 form. If you're earning more than 10,000$ from any network then chances are there that you need to do some more documentation irrespective of your status as foreign or US affiliate.

SSN/VAT/Tax-ID and Affiliate Networks

Many affiliate networks and payment processors expect you to show SSN or tax-ID from your country. SSN stands for social security number which is applicable within united states whereas PAN is permanent account number which is similar to SSN and is used in india. Make sure you provide them this ID (whichever name applies for your country) to affiliate network when you sign up or expect payment from them.

Transaction Receipts

If you're a freelancer or blogger who sells his/her service online then subscribing to receipts sites is one good option. This will help you keep history of transaction when you work online with clients and it'll also help you to pay taxes for the income you pay online. You can sign up for services like freshbooks, harvest or blinksale to keep records of your transaction. Payment processors like paypal and other shopping carts do allow your clients to print their purchase history but if you're taking any custom work or consulting then you can use the billing services to keep the receipts.

FTC and Commercial Intention Notice

Your blog, website needs to mention commercial intention near footer or other specific page so that FTC(US govt authority that keeps eye on trade) or any other tax department don't come across as resistance between you and affiliate network. Many states in US and other countries are having issues with affiliate or ad networks due to FTC and other online revenue rules so before signing up check if this applies to your state or country.

Tax information and Checklist

Worldwide Taxation - If you're indian or spanish blogger/publisher who earns money from US based affiliate or ad-network then still your income is taxable, in this case from US as you do transaction from that country and from your own country. So your income is likely to be cut out from two places via payment processor or directly from network. These rules vary depending on your country, but no matter where you stay, once you receive cheques from foreign banks then your country will charge some tax on that amount. You'll also be taxable if your annual income from foreign currency reaches some X threshold which is taxable in your country. For example, in india if your annual income reaches 1,60,000/- bucks then you become taxable citizen for that financial year.

Skipping Taxes - One thing you can't do with online activity is that you can't skip your taxes no matter where you live, so don't try to game the system. Every income generating activity is monitored by almost every government these days using payment processor monitoring, bank cheque and threshold monitoring etc.You're responsible citizen of this planet and no matter where you live you need to support the respective government.

Deductible Income - Charity work and some other online activities are tax-deductible which you can find out by reading the tax acts in your country. I suggest you to read online tax sites of your country. Also do read tax information of the country where your affiliate network is based on and pays monthly revenue.

Non-taxable revenue - There are times when your earning goes down and can't be in line for taxation. In such case contact your accountant or tax adviser and notify him about yearly earning history and get yourself free from taxation. During early years of online publishers efforts or bloggers revenue remain non-taxable in many cases so unless scaled up above taxable income you remain under non-taxable revenue bar.

Hope these tips helps you during taxation of your online income. If you need any country specific information then it is better to consult tax adviser and affiliate manager of your ad/affiliate network.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • katiem2 profile image


      7 years ago from I'm outta here

      I was just thinking about this topic with tax seasons rolling in! Thank you for the very helpful and informative information on taxes for bloggers, publishers and affiliates.

      This is a gold mine of great stuff, book marking, rated up and all that is good.

      Again, Thanks for your clear and detailed tax fax for us content writers, affiliates, bloggers and publishers. :) Katie


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)