- Personal Finance»
- Family Budget
Introduce the Children About Saving Culture
Money is not everything. But, without the money of our lives would be more difficult to live. As parents, we certainly want our children have financially independent and skilled in managing money. As a teacher I always give suggestion to my student. One of my suggestion is how to use money wisely. There is a subject in my lesson talk about it. How can we life frugally? In my place a parent usually give their children a pocket money to buy some food and drink in the school canteen. Maybe we can't find it in US, because the lunch was served in US school. This is a culture in my place. Start from $0,1 up to $0,5 for elementary student. As children they spend all the money. This is naturally. But, when we don't train it start from the beginning, I am afraid it also carried in the future.
The greater influence of electronic media and the various influences of the environment surrounding us,made the children more consumptive . In fact, a long time ago my parents taught me how to save well. I remembered when I was a kid, I always save my money in the clay piggy bank. Until we were introduced to the concept of saving money in the bank.
The increasingly diverse needs of life and the amount of influence from outside the family. How can we teach the children in saving and value the money? Introducing the concept of saving can be started by giving an example to the kids to save coins to piggy bank. During the time when the coins in a piggy bank began full, you can save money to deliver the coins to the real bank. In that way, you can also introduce the concept of banking to children. ''To successfully teach children to save, as parents we also have to do the same thing"
Pocket money is a tool for children to learn money management skill. The main principle in the granting of a pocket money is to give children the opportunity to save money, create a budget, and spend his own money.
In the Preschool years, children generally are able to distinguish coins, knowing its value, and begin to understand that money can be exchanged with objects. When children start school, they generally are ready to accept the pocket money. This moment can be used to start training them how to manage money well and correctly.
Simple way to train children to manage money.
We can train children about how to manage their money, like:
- Provide three piggy banks. The first piggy bank for donations, the second piggy bank for savings, and a third for investment.
- Buy a wallet and piggy bank that can be opened without a break. Piggy bank for savings, and wallets for spending their money. Both device help the child understand the concrete differences between saving and spending money.
- Familiarize the child to make a budget for kid above 10 years old. When the saving have been sufficient. Open a bank account by his own name, to keep the saving result.
- When open the bank account, let your child filled the bank form by himself and learn to speak with the bank officers. This is to built self confidence and give him a new experience.
- Allow your child to buy somethings he had dreamed with some of his savings. This will give a sense of satisfaction and training to prevent the child's spontaneous purchases.
- Donations. These habits will develop a sense of balance within themselves in terms of money, building relationships with others, so that the child will growth become a loving person.
As a parent we want the best for our child. Give a good example to our child by spending money that could be imitated children. Try to create a shopping list before going to the store. With good interaction in teaching children how to use the money well I hope this way can strengthen the relationship between parents and children. Required two-way communication between children and parents. I hope by reading this hub, we can be a good parents.