ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Personal Finance»
  • Paying for College

Lower Your College Tuition

Updated on March 13, 2011

Save up to 70% on college tuition

For many jobs and careers, a college degree is mandatory. College can also be a great place to make future contacts, leading to job opportunities. But for many of us, college is just way to expensive. Scholarships, student loans, and grants can help out a lot with those costs. However, you can do a lot to lower your costs also.

The biggest factor for cost of tuition when going to most colleges is whether or not you are a resident of the state. Also, tuition rates vary greatly from state to state. Here are some random examples. The cost of living in state can be as much as 70% lower. The numbers are in state tuition versus out of state tuition:

  • University of Hawaii (Hilo) $12,576 $4,056
  • University of Hawaii (Oahu) $14,352 $4,656
  • Portland State University $19,755 $5,321
  • Arizona State University $20,257 $7,793
  • New Mexico State University $13,872 $3,720

There are several things you need to do to get in state tuition rates. If possible, you want to do these things several years before permanently moving to the state. The most important is to have an in state drivers license. Make a trip to the state and live there for a couple of months. If you are still in high school, then do this during your summer break. Get a new drivers license, find a short term job, get local bank accounts, get a library card, and apply for some credit cards using your new address. You might even consider updating your cell phone so that you have a new area code. The important thing is to set up a paper trail to back up the fact you are living in your new state. When you return back to your original state, think of yourself as just a visitor. If there are any problems, just explain that you are going to college in the new state. Most people will instinctively understand. Later, when you return to your new state and apply to your new college, you will be able to apply as a resident.

The only other way, which will require you to put your college plans on hold for a couple years, is to move to your new state, and quickly start your paper trail starting with a new drivers license. Unfortunately, you will have to wait a few years till you can apply to college as a resident. Just make sure you don't apply to soon and get branded as a non-resident. Once figuratively branded it can take up to ten years to get unbranded in your new state.

In summary, finding money for college is important, but you can also lower your costs too.


Submit a Comment

No comments yet.