ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Medicare Special Enrollment Periods (SEP's)

Updated on October 8, 2012

Enrolling in Medicare coverage is very much like enrolling in an employer sponsored health insurance plan in many ways. Just like with employer sponsored health insurance, you must wait for an open enrollment period to sign up for the program. With Medicare, that open enrollment period is alternatively referred to as Annual Enrollment.

In 2012, Medicare Annual Enrollment is October 15th through December 7th. Those dates may change in subsequent year, but the general time-frame will be the same. Most people will have to wait until Annual Enrollment in order to sign up for coverage beginning January 1st of each year.

However, some people can enroll at other times. Special Enrollment Periods will allow some people to enroll in Medicare outside of the Annual Enrollment Period in certain unique situations (qualifying events), the following qualifying events apply:

Extra Help (Medicare Financial Assistance)

If you are receiving the low income subsidy (low income assistance) known as Extra Help, you can make a change to your Medicare prescription drug coverage at will. Your new coverage will begin the following month after you make the change.

Generally, with Medicare Extra Help programs, they have pre-selected the most cost effective plan for you, but you are free to change your plan if you would like.

If you are losing your Extra Help coverage, you will only have one time Special Enrollment Period in which to select new coverage; this begins the month of the loss of assistance and lasts for two months following the loss.

*State Pharmacy Assistance Programs (SPAP) qualify as well

Moving In or Out of Coverage Area

If you move out of the service area of your current prescription drug plan or Medicare Advantage Plan, you will be given a Special Enrollment Period in which to enroll in a new plan.

This SEP begins the month of and 60 days after the time you notify your organization of a permanent move out of the plan service area.

Loss of Coverage

If you lose creditable drug coverage from an employer, a retiree plan, or any other source through no fault of your own, you will qualify to enroll under an SEP.

Long Term Care

If you live in a long term care facility and you move or move out of that facility, you will be granted an SEP. Long term care facilities include the following:

  • Nursing Homes
  • Skilled Nursing Facilities
  • Intermediate Care Facilities for the Mentally Disabled
  • Psychiatric Hospitals
  • Rehabilitation Hospitals
  • Long Term Care Hospitals

Aging Into Medicare

If you are just becoming qualified to receive Medicare according to your 65th birthday, your SEP is called the Initial Enrollment Period (IEP). Your IEP will give you a full seven month window in which to enroll.

The IEP period is three months prior to the effective date, the month of the effective date, and the three months following your effective date (effective date = the date you become eligible for Medicare enrollment).

Medicare can often be a puzzle for most people to solve. If you still have questions about Medicare basics, please read the hub Medicare Summarized to help you become more familiar with the program.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)