- Personal Finance»
Medicare can be Confusing
Medicare Part A
As a senior who is about to turn 65, I've been getting tons of mail to inform me of my choices for Medicare. As medicare can be confusing, I've listed information about medicare part A, B, C and D. Medicare part A includes this list of benefits and costs:
- Choose any qualified provider who is accepting new patients
- This plan is for patients who are in the hospital or in a skilled nursing facility
- Doctor's services, phone calls and custodial care are not covered
- Deductibles in 2017 are just over $1,000.00 for each hospital stay. Limits apply.
- Co pays in 2017 are $329.00 for days 61 through 90
- Days 91 through 150 the co pay is $658.00
- Skilled Nursing Facility patients pay $164.50 a day up to 100 days.
- Co pays for prescription drugs are $5.00
- Anyone (spouse or patient) who has worked full time for at least 10 years has no premium. Those who have not worked full time for at least 10 years will pay a deductible.
Medicare Part B
Doctor appointments, lab tests, diagnostic screenings and some skilled nursing stays are included. Here are the costs, co pays, deductibles, and limitations.
- You can choose any provider you would like as long as they are accepting new patients
- Some services are limited such as occupational and physical therapy, some diagnostic screenings and some preventive care. Vision, hearing tests and dental services are covered only in certain situations.
- Your premium depends on your monthly income and is deducted from your social security checks. They range from $109.00 a month to just over $400.00 a month.
- Deductibles are $183.00 a year in 2017
- After deductibles are paid part B pays 80% of the cost of your medical expenses. You pay the remaining 20%
AARP Medicare Advantage Plan
Medicare Part C
Also known as the Medicare Advantage Plan, medicare part C is offered through a private insurance company. Most cover world wide emergency expenses and prescription medications. They also cover vision, dental, hearing and wellness programs.
- The plans are all different depending on the insurance company and plan you choose
- You also must pay your part A and B plans if you have them
- Deductibles and co pays vary
- Go to the link above to learn about AARP Medicare Advantage Plan
Medicare Part D
Last but not least is Medicare Part D. This is a prescription drug program that is offered through a private company. Programs vary as do costs, lists of medications and federal guidelines.
- Participants pay a co pay until the total cost reaches $3,700.00
- After that you pay 40% of brand name medications and 51% of a generic drug. This is called a coverage gap.
Cancel Employer Insurance at Age 65
We have had an interview with an insurance agent who said I will be automatically enrolled in Medicare just before my birthday. I do not have to do anything. I will, however, have to choose between the plans offered above. Our medical insurance through my husband's employer will also change as I will no longer need it when I enroll in a Medicare program of my choice. My understanding is that this is also done automatically.
If you have any questions please visit the website listed above.
Good News for Social Security Recipients!
As of January, 2018 those of us who receive Social Security benefits will see a raise of $28.00 a month as per Yahoo news. I've included a link to the article below for you to read. As far as Medicare goes, there will be no changes. We can expect to hear the official announcement in the fall.