ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Personal Finance»
  • Tax & Taxes»
  • Income Tax

Missing your 2010 W-2 Form?

Updated on July 5, 2011

You should have received a Form W-2 in the mail from everyone that employed you in the past year. Your employer has until January 31st of this year to mail out the Form W-2 for last year. When you are ready to file, make sure you have all your Forms W-2 because you will need them. 

w-2 Forms
w-2 Forms

If you have not received your earnings statement:

   1. Speak with your employer. They will let you know if they mailed you your Form W-2. If they did, verify that the address they used is correct and complete. If they send you another one, wait a week or so before continuing to the next step.

   2. Contact the IRS. If you still have not received the Form W-2 by mid February, then you should notify the IRS by calling them toll free at 800-829-1040. When you contact them, they will need certain information from you such as your phone, address, Social Security number, and of course name, as well as:
      • Your employer's name, address, phone and other contact information
      • The dates of your employment by him or her
      • An estimate of how much you earned for that year, and an estimate of the amount of money withheld for your federal income taxes. These numbers can be found on your final pay stub or you may use your a leave and earnings statement if you have it.

   3. File your tax return. Yes, even without the Form W-2, you still have to file your tax return (or for an extension). Instead of the Form W-2, you can use Form 4852 instead as a replacement. Fill out Form 4852 with your most accurate income and withheld taxes information and send it with your tax return. You may experience a delay in receiving your tax refund while your form is verified as accurate.

   4. File a Form 1040X. If you latter on get your W-2, but your tax return is already filed, then you should match up the W-2 numbers with the numbers you put on your Form 4852. If they do not match, you will need to file a Form 1040X to revise your income tax return.

Instructions and IRS forms can be obtained from website or by calling 800-829-3676

Are you missing your W2s for 2010?

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image

      Mary Ramirez 7 years ago

      What's the website for missing W2s for 2010? I have the TAX ID, EIN, CONTROL #