ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Personal Finance»
  • Understanding Finance

More information on Identity Theft. Part 2

Updated on July 5, 2010

More information that can help you on Identity Theft.

Hi Gardening Friends

Here is more information that can help you deal with Identity Theft.

The first thing you should do when you think you are a victim of Identity Theft

is to contact the credit card company and explain to them what is going on

and you believe you are a victim of Identity Theft. When you call the credit card company ask them for their fraud department. You tell the credit card

company fraud department why you think you are a victim of fraud?

Also sit down and write them a letter stating that you are a victim of

Identity theft also send copies of all your evident to them to back up

your claim.

Also you can file a Identity Theft report with your local police department

or State Police. After you get your Identity Theft Report you call the Federal Trade Commission and tell them you want to file a Identity Theft Report with them and give them your Incident number from your police report. They will put that on file and the Federal Trade Commission will send you a letter with your FTC. Ref. No.and a Brochure on Identity Theft. Also here is the Federal

Trade Commission wed site on Identity Theft.

The federal government's central website on identity theft. Also on the website copy the ID Theft Affidavit and fill it out and then take it and get it notarized.

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act:

You have the right to dispute errors in your credit report. After you notify them, the credit bureau and the company that furnished the inaccurate information to the credit bureau must investigate the disputed information.

The credit bureau is required to remove incorrect information from your report. You have the right to get a copy of the application or other business transaction records relating to your identity theft free of charge from the company. These records may help you prove that you are a victim. For

example,you may be able to show that the signature on the application is not yours. You must make your request in writing. Companies must provide you theses records free of charged.

Also when you contact the Federal Trade Commission ask them for a copy of their fact sheet on FTC FACTS For Consumers, focus on CREDIT.


I hope this information help you in straightening out your identity theft

Sincerely Yours

Gardener Den




    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image

      derekcaulfield 9 years ago

      I got mine stolen , it sucks when it's stolen but . Get some identity theft protection the best out there is pre paid legal one they go through kroll not to boar but they helped me bigtime . life lock I hear isn't that good . But serch around for the best thats suits you. Mine cost me 12 a month it's worth it. But ppl one is best unless other people know a better one.

    • robie2 profile image

      Roberta Kyle 9 years ago from Central New Jersey

      Thanks for ptting all this useful info in one place.