No Money Blues and the Weekend
The weekend is a time for fun and relaxation. People ask “did you have a nice weekend or what did you do this weekend.” When you have no money, these questions can be awkward. If you have absolutely no extra money for entertainment or other activities, you may often have to turn down invitations to the movies, going out for drinks or eating out. You make excuses for why you can’t go because of your money situation. Believe me. A lot of people are in this boat. Your friends might start to accuse you of being a party pooper. So, it is best to be honest with them and let them know you can’t afford to spend extra money at this time. If they are your friends, they will understand. You will be saved the trouble of always having to make up excuses. Instead, you can suggest other activities that do not cost any money and still spend some fun times with your friends.
Don't let your fire for life burn out
No Money Activities to do with Others
- Hike in the park, a free park, for some fresh air and exercise.
- Play Cards, you be the host and everyone brings the snacks to your house.
- Go to a free art gallery opening. They have them where I live all the time with free snacks and free booze.
- Outdoor festivals or craft fairs.
- Go window-shopping. You don’t have to buy something every time you go to the mall.
- Play sports. Create your own team and make it fun.
- Have people over for a cup of coffee or some tea, whatever you already have at your house.
There are really an endless number of activities to pick to do with others that don’t require much money – be creative.
No Money Activities to Do Alone
Yes, for some, the weekend means downtime. Downtime is dangerous because you want to go out and spend money. You walk into the store to get one thing you need and come out with a cart full of stuff you can’t afford. Here are some things you can do instead with your ideal hands:
- Go to work. Pick up that extra job or assignment on the weekend to make some extra money. Since you are broke and could use the money, why not? This idea earns you money and gives you something to do.
- Checkout the library. Library has free books, free movies, and free music so checkout what you want and as much as you want. Borrow a dvd to watch. Get books on a topic of interest. Read the books.
- Work on your hobby. If you have a blog, you can use your weekends to catch up on all your writing. Whatever you like to do – sew, paint, cook, or fish, go do it.
- Do something active. Walk around your neighborhood, work in your garden or clean out your garage and look for stuff for your next garage sale. Being active reduces your stress and puts you in a better mood.
- Volunteer. Volunteer at your local animal shelter to walk dogs, spend time at the local soup kitchen, or do something with kids. Even though you are broke, you can still help others by giving your time.
- Stay home and relax. There is nothing wrong with doing as little as possible for a day or two. You probably need the rest. You can save your gas money and just stay in and read a book, work on your writing and do a jigsaw puzzle or a Sudoku puzzle. Be lazy.
The economy is bad out there. Don’t spend your money on going out to eat, drinking expensive drinks or seeing a $10 movie - especially, if you cannot afford to do these things. You can still have fun on the weekends and save you wallet. Be creative. Be honest with your friends. Think of new/different things to do to break up your week that keep those no money blues at bay.