Publicly Traded Social Networking Companies That Are Alternatives to Facebook
If Facebook is too pricey for your investment portfolio, there are many other publicly traded social networking stocks to that can be invested in to take part of the social networking dominance of the Internet. This article provides a list of publicly traded social networking stocks and an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) that holds a basket of publicly traded social networking stocks, allowing an investor to gain broad exposure to the social networking stock sector.
Publicly Traded Social Networking Stocks To Play The Facebook IPO
List Of Publicly Traded Social Networking Stocks and ETFs
Publicly traded social networking stocks that are listed on major stock exchanges:
- Facebook (NASDAQ: FB) - Dominant social networking site on the Internet that sets the standard in social networking
- Twitter, Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) - Social networking site built around brief 140 character communications that are known as "tweets"
- Snap Inc. (NYSE: SNAP) - Social networking app that allows users to send messages and photos that are deleted after opening. Known for providing creative photo enhancements and stories that users can tell.
- Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) - Dominant Internet search engine with a social networking service called Google+
- Linkedin Corporation (NYSE: LNKD) - Dominant Internet career networking site for networking with contacts in the business and professional realm
- Renren Inc. (NYSE: RENN) - Operates one of the largest social networking Internet platforms in China
- SINA Corporation (NASDAQ: SINA) - China based Internet search engine that offers social networking services in China
- Zynga Inc. (NASDAQ: ZNGA) - An online gaming company that provides online games via Facebook and other social networking sites
- MeetMe, Inc. (AMEX: MEET) - Operates a social networking site that is geared towards people looking to meet new people online
- Mediabistro Inc. (NASDAQ: MBIS) - An Internet media company that provides content, education, and career services to social media, traditional media, and creative professionals through a portfolio of online properties and communities; including AllFacebook.com, which chronicles developments at Facebook and provides unique Facebook services
- Vringo, Inc. (AMEX: VRNG) - A development stage company that provides software applications for mobile social networking applications.
Publicly traded social networking stocks that trade on stock quotation systems:
- Snap Interactive, Inc. (OTCBB: STVI) - An application developer that provides online dating applications for social networking web sites and mobile platforms
- FriendFinder Networks Inc. (Pink Sheets: FFNTQ) - An Internet and technology company that provides social networking services and web-based video sharing services
Publicly traded Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) that focuses on publicly traded social networking stocks:
- Global X Social Media Index ETF (SOCL) - An ETF that invests in social media companies throughout the world
Caution Regarding Buying Publicly Traded Social Networking Stocks
It is important to keep in mind that the price of publicly traded social networking stocks are affected by a wide range of stock market forces, from overall stock market sentiment to individual company developments to changes in technology, that may have an impact the value and price of the stocks. These price-impacting market forces may or may not be related to the company's social networking activities. Therefore, buying any of these stocks should only be considered after performing proper financial due diligence on the stock or ETF one is considering investing in. Additionally, proper precautions should be taken, including using stop loss orders and limiting the size of exposure to any one social networking stock to limit the potential for losses due to unexpected outcomes.
Disclaimer: This article was not written by a financial professional or a registered financial advisor. This article is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to be solicitation or recommendation to purchase any stocks, ETFs, or securities mentioned herein. Please consult a registered financial advisor to ensure you understand the risks and rewards associated with buying and selling stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and other financial products.
Meeks Calls Valuation of Social Media Stocks `Egregious'
© 2012 John Coviello