- Personal Finance»
- Frugal Living
How to Save Money: Get Rid of Your TV Bill
Can Your Family Save Money?
Let me begin by saying we are a family that’s likes TV. We have four televisions in our house. So when we had our 3rd child, (I am a stay at home mother so we are a one income family of 5 saving money is IMPORTANT), I was a little nervous to say the least about the bills. I also was very upset by amount of television I was watching. While the children were sleeping I would watch TV as I cleaned EVERYDAY. To top the TV situation off our bill sky rocketed from $79.00 as month for the basic package with Direct TV to $105.79 a month, and I was already thinking that $79.00 a month was way too much. Something had to be done about this. I started looking into different options to save money and still be able to enjoy our family TV time together. Here is what I came up with….
Netflix- Netflix has multiple options for the consumer. Netflix also has a special section now called Just For Kids. Your kids can pick kid-friendly shows to watch without you worrying they are picking something in appropriate.
· The Unlimited Streaming- This option allows you to watch from your electronic devices, computers, and on your television through the Wii for $7.99 a month, you do not have the option to watch DVDs.
· Unlimited DVDs – You can choose to have 1 DVD at a time with no streaming for you devices for $7.99 a month or 2 DVDs with no streaming for $11.99 a month.
· Unlimited Streaming and DVDs- These options are a bit pricier than the previous options, but all included streaming and DVDs. You can have 1 DVD for $15.98 a month, 2 DVDs for $19.98, 3 DVDs for $23.98 a month, or 4 DVDs for $29.98 a month.
· Limited Plan- This is the cheapest option but has conditions that may be hard for you to stay within. 1 DVD at a time, you can only have 2 DVDs a month. Streaming is available only on your computer and for only up 2 hours each month.
Netflix has many options and choosing which one is right for you can be difficult if you have never really something like this before, but you have the option to change your plan at any time so that helps you be able to try a few plans. We chose the first option so for $7.99 a month we are able to stream TV from our Wii, Kindle Fires, and on the computer.
Hulu- Hulu has a few options also.
· Hulu- Can only be watched over the internet with your computer for FREE. You can watch most of the shows but you have to wait a few days usually until the show is available for you.
· Hulu Plus- Is the paid option of Hulu. You pay $7.99 a month to be able to watch the shows they have on their database (there are shows that only allow you to watch over the WEB though, these are few and far between). With Hulu Plus you are usually able to watch a show the very next day after it is aired. You may also refer others using Email or Facebook to earn yourself free weeks!
We chose to pay the $7.99 for Hulu Plus and have been using it for 3 months so far and it has been wonderful. Rarely do we have issues with it. With Netflix we have never had an issue at all. I have enjoyed my decision to get rid of my ridiculous bill to watch television and save money. I also enjoy not having the television on as much (I honestly feel different knowing we are not paying so much so I don’t feel guilty not watching it).
Save that green...
Using these new options for our viewing pleasure we are able to save $89.81 a MONTH. That is $1,077.72 a YEAR. It really knocks you off your feet when you see how much money you can really save and still be able to watch almost every popular shows as well as movies whenever you want. I would highly recommend at least thinking about these options and understand that if you like money this is an easy way to get more of it!