Sewing and Selling Cloaks and Capes for Extra Money with Free Online Patterns
An Excellent Home Business for Women
Whether you love Halloween or going to the Renaissance Faire, you know that cloaks are worn year round for different events. What's more, people are continuously looking for well-made cloaks for the holidays, such as a bright red Christmas cloak, and for plays, reenactments, role-playing clubs, Halloween parties, and even Harry Potter clubs.
Capes, on the other hand, are associated with superheroes. The difference between cloaks and capes is length. Capes are shorter that cloaks, hence the reason why superheroes wear them.
If you're looking to start a home sewing business, think about focusing on cloak and cape making because of the wide appeal. The cloaks and capes can be made on spec for individuals and they can also be made for resale at the local New Age and costume shops. There are also home sewers that sell their cloaks and capes on their websites and on auction sites.
Where to Sell Cloaks and Capes
There are many different places where you can sell or advertise homemade cloaks and capes.
- Contact local New Age shops with photographs and samples of your work, stating that you would like them to carry your products.
- Set up a stand at the local Renaissance Faire.
- As Halloween gets closer, set up a table at any large community flea markets or craft shows.
- Post advertisements on community bulletin boards at local stores, craft stores, and community theater houses.
- Maintain an online presence - keep an up-to-date website with the cloaks you have for sale, keep a Twitter and Facebook account to alert potential customers of your latest cloak creations.
- Exchange website links with online role-playing groups, Halloween related websites, and Renaissance Faire websites.
- Comic book fans also like to dress up for their conventions. One popular event is Comicon.
How to Make a Cloak
Online Cloak Patterns
- Making a Cloak For Use in The SCA
Brief instructions for making different types of cloaks.
- Fellowship Cloak Pattern
Lord of the RIngs cloak.
- Crafters In Disguise: A Pattern-Free Hood for a Fantasy Cloak
- Rectangular Cloaks
Instructions on how to make a fitted rectangular cloak.
- Antimony & Lace ~ DIY dark and gothic fashion
Gothic fashion website offering DIY projects, discussion, information, and links to online gothic shopping. Gothic Fashion resource opperating since 1996.
- Echna\'s Celtic Garb Cloak Page
Echna's (Gwen Morse) pages are dedicated to 5th Century (AD/CE) Irish-Celtic recreational medievalism.
- Abell ingen Dairmata, Cloak Pattern
A simple semi-circle cloak pattern: no sewing needed
- Jedi Robe
Make a Jedi Robe.
DIY Hooded Costume CLoak
Cloak Patterns to Buy
Free Cape Patterns
- How to Make a Cape
How to Make a Cape. Learn how to make a cape with this complete photo tutorial.
- Child's Cape Pattern & Tutorial | Craft Buds
My son has endured countless trips to JoAnn fabrics and has never been too excited, until our most recent trip. We walked by this fabric and he y...
- The Greatest Capes: 7 Halloween Costumes From One Pattern - Martha Stewart Crafts
Read Marthastewart's The Greatest Capes: 7 Halloween Costumes From One Pattern article Also, browse thousands of other holiday clip-art, decorating, crafts, hand-made gifts and project ideas.
- Red Riding Hood Cape Pattern
This red riding hood cape pattern is FREE and it comes with a video tutorial. Sizes child and adult.
- Free Superhero Cape Tutorial
- Free Long Cape Pattern
This free long cape pattern has a sew and no sew option. Easy and fast to make you'll have that long cape you're been wanting to make in a flash!
- Red Riding Hood Cape Pattern - SCC Mag
We here at Stitch Craft Create love Halloween. In fact, we have a big employee party the day before Halloween complete with costumes, decorations, tricks
- Project Run and Play: The Audrey Cape Tutorial