- Personal Finance
Five Meals Under $10 from Amazon
These meals are all under 10 dollars and will feed the entire family. Best of all, you can order all the ingredients from Amazon. Most think of Amazon as a place to purchase books and electronics, but Amazon has a wide selection of grocery products. Follow theses recipes and you can order all of your food for a week of dinners from Amazon for under $50 for a family of four. Amazon also offers free shipping on orders over $25, so you will save money and time, avoid the grocery store, and sales tax. These meals are also healthy--most are protein packed and take advantage of some of the unique international and all natural products that Amazon offers.
Monday: Italian Pasta with Sardines, Chickpeas, and Black Olives
This quick meal is perfect for a hectic Monday. There is no need to labor over a slow cooked pasta sauce--these premium sardines come packed in their own flavorful basil and tomato sauce that coats the noodles. The sardines and chickpeas add healthy protein. The sardines also provide the meal with healthy Omegas.
Recipe for Italian Pasta with Sardines and Chickpeas:
1) In a pot, heat chickpeas.
2) Cook pasta according to package directions. Retain one tablespoon of pasta water.
3) Put sardines( with sauce from can) and black olives into a large bowl. Pour the hot pasta, the tablespoon of pasta water, and the heated chickpeas over the sardines, sauce and olives. Toss to coat.
TOTAL PRICE: $6.46
Tuesday: Healthy Tostada Casserole
This recipe layers natural tostadas with Valencia rice, black beans, and an easy queso mix to save time. The queso browns in the oven creating a filling and warm meal with plenty of protein and complex carbs from the black beans.
Recipe for Healthy Tostada Casserole:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Cook rice according to package directions but with the addition of one Goya Cilantro & Tomato flavor packet.
3) Prepare queso according to package directions.
4) Drain black beans.
5) In a large baking dish, make alternating layers of tostadas, drained black beans, cooked and seasoned Valencia rice, and queso--the final, top layer should be queso. Bake in oven until queso is brown and bubbly (about 25 minutes)
TOTAL PRICE: $7.51
Wednesday: Indian Curried Lentils with Coconut Milk
This meal is healthy and easy. Lentils provide protein, and the coconut milk provides healthy mono-unsaturated fat. Serve with fluffy warmed garlic Naan to dip in the sauce.
Recipe for Indian Curried Lentils with Coconut Milk:
1) Cook lentils according to package directions, but substitute the entire can of coconut milk for the water (you may add water to coconut milk to meet package directions for total liquid, depending on the number of servings you prepare).
2) Prepare curry sauce according to package directions and add to lentils.
3) Warm Naan bread in the oven according to package directions.
TOTAL PRICE: $9.83
Thursday: Alfredo Pasta
This meal couldn't be easier--use a yummy premium jarred Alfredo sauce. Make the meal healthier by using a quality gluten free pasta. Serve crispy garlic bread sticks alongside to dip in the cheesy sauce.
Recipe for Alfredo Pasta:
1) Cook pasta according to package directions.
2) Heat Alfredo sauce in a pan.
3) Mix sauce and pasta.
3)Serve with bread sticks.
TOTAL PRICE: $5.90
Friday: Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza
This easy pizza combines everything you love about hot wings--buffalo sauce, chicken, and blue cheese--in a pizza. Use a pre-made crust and canned chicken to save time. Crumble on a entire block of blue cheese to melt in the oven. And with all the money you've saved, maybe even splurge for a few beers to celebrate the end to a week of cheap and healthy meals, all delivered to your door via Amazon. How cool is that??
Recipe for Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza:
1) Top pizza crust with buffalo sauce and chicken.
2) Crumble blue cheese evenly over the chicken and sauce.
3) Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese has melted and the crust is crispy.
TOTAL PRICE: $9:49