ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Vacant House Insurance

Updated on December 2, 2011

You may need vacant house insurance for several reasons. Maybe you haven’t yet sold your house and have already moved into another one. Maybe you have two homes. Whatever the reason, you can’t expect your standard homeowner’s policy to cover damage when nobody is living in the house. Sure, you can pretend that someone was living there if any damage occurs, but playing games with the insurance company is a losing battle. As such, if your house is to be vacant for over 30 days, you have two options: Get a vacancy permit from your house from your current insurer or shop around for vacant house insurance. A good tip is to go to an independent agent because such agents have connections with many companies and, as such, might get you a deal after browsing their contacts. However, whatever policy you end up getting for your unoccupied house, don’t expect anything cheap. In fact, be prepared for sticker shock. Why? Insurance companies take on a lot of risk by insuring an unoccupied house. What if there is a flood in your house or a fire starts up? Who is going to call 911? Your neighbor might call for you, but by the time they call, the damage might be overwhelming. Furthermore, if someone with bad intentions realizes that there is no one to guard the house, they won’t have too many second thoughts, unless, the unoccupied house looks to be secure. This means that you can lower your vacant homeowners insurance premium by making your house look occupied. For example, have your neighbor park their car in your driveway and pick up your mail so that your mailbox is overflowing. If you really want to get creative you can turn on some lights.

Another thing, which can help lower your homeowners insurance for vacant house, is if you install some type of security system (a security system, which detects a break in through windows and doors is highly recommended) and tightly seal your doors and windows.

Also, keep in mind that when you are shopping for vacant house insurance, just because a company claims to “specialize” in home insurance for vacant house, it does not mean that they will give you a low rate. It just means that they are a company, which is willing to insure unoccupied houses for a pretty penny.

(Check out Pittsburgh PA Kitchen if you are looking for handyman services in the Pittsburgh area or Apartments for Rent in Pittsburgh.)


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image


      8 years ago

      True enough and useful information. A lot of people do not realise that their standard home insurance policy may not cover them if the place is empty for more than 30 days.

    • taxibrokers profile image


      8 years ago from London

      In the UK if your property becomes vacant please note that your home insurance provider may provide full cover on your empty property for up to 90 days. Most insurers provide cover for 30 or 60 days whilst unoccupied but some do go up to 90 days. Check with your provider.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)