ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Where is my W-2?

Updated on February 21, 2008

How can I file my taxes without a W-2?

There are thousands of people who do not dread this time of year but, in fact, look forward to it. We are not talking about those who just can't wait to see how winter turns out, but the lucky ones who are expecting, and in most cases needing, a tax refund check. They wait anxiously at their mailboxes at the end of January for all their W-2's to come so the process can begin to isolate, calculate, formulate and estimate exactly how much money they can count on being able to spend in the near future. Imagine the frustration if the form that produces all this frothing expectation fails to arrive.

Even if you are not an ardent tax-time lover, most likely you are still in the category of Americans that expect to receive your tax forms in a timely manner. The W-2 or Wage & Tax Statement is a form that employers are required to send out by January 31, 2008. What should you do if you have not received one by the deadline? What you should NOT do is panic. Not all employers, including some small business owners, are extremely organized and may not send their forms out in time. That does not mean that they won't or that they are holding any kind of grudge against you personally. There is no benefit to them for withholding the W-2's. Here are some things you can do if you have not received your W-2 by Feb. 14th:

  • First, contact the person or business and ask why you have not received your W-2. You will probably be told that it is "in the mail". Have you moved? Don't assume that your former employer knows how to reach you. It could have been delivered to the wrong address or returned. Give it a couple of weeks to reach you.
  • If you don't get any results, you can call the I. R. S. for help. They are more than interested in knowing about companies that may be screwing around with anything related to employee taxes. The number to call is (800) 829-1040.
  • File anyway. Not as easy, but you can probably find old pay stubs around or use your bank statements to check monthly or bi-monthly deposits. Use these to figure your estimated earnings and withholding. Put this on Form 4852, which is a substitue for the W-2. Send Form 4852 along with your tax return.

Hopefully these suggestions will help as you endeavor to achieve the American Dream.......To get as much money with as little effort as possible.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Lola Eden profile image

      Lola Eden 

      10 years ago from the South

      Very informative. Who knew?

    • profile image


      10 years ago

      Great info....I'll pass it on to my son who are still playing the waiting game.

    • cgull8m profile image


      10 years ago from North Carolina

      This is the right time to do it, to gather all the forms instead of rushing in the end. Thanks for the remainder I plan to do this by this month.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)