- Personal Finance»
- Income & Making Money
Working As A Copywriter In Sheffield
It seems that there aren't a huge amount of professional freelance copywriters in Sheffield, so this hub is just a short stream of thoughts on comical issues faced working as a copywriter in Sheffield.
Copywriting is a tough skill to master, as you have to have the ability to tackle diverse themes and sell them to a global audience. However, Yorkshire folk are often regarded as old fashioned, behind the times and practical, hands-on people. Therefore, copywriters in Sheffield may find that they have to fight one or two stereotypes before they get taken seriously. Here are a few stereotypes about people who live in Yorkshire, and my opinion of the myths:
- People of Yorkshire only watch black and white TV. I don't know where this myth originated from, but I can assure you it isn't true. My TV shows at least three different colours (and all at the same time too!)
- Yorkshire folk only eat fish and chips. OK, I can see where this one came from - Yorkshire areas (particular coastal places such as Scarborough) are popular for the Great British Fast Food which is fish and chips. We don't only eat fish and chips though. Sometimes we go for a battered sausage.
- Men in Yorkshire put ferrets down their trousers for fun. Apparently. Never done it myself, but I hear it was a popular pastime back in the something-hundreds.
- About Write Your Wrongs
Situated in the heart of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, Write Your Wrongs provides copywriting services to clients both locally and the whole world over.
Sheffield - The City Of Steel
As mentioned above, Yorkshire folk have the stigma attached to them that they are practical, hands-on people. As Sheffield Copywriters have to position themselves as thoughtful and witty, Sheffield's history as a global leader in the production of steel becomes a pretty difficult theme to shake.
Me: Hi, I'm John. I'm from Sheffield, and I'm a copywriter.
Person: Oh, I know Sheffield - the city of steel, right?
Me: Yes, that's right
Person: So, do you make steel?
Me: No, I'm a copywriter
Person: What does a copywriter do? Do copywriters make steel?
Me: Not to my knowledge...
Person: But surely Sheffield Copywriters make a bit of steel on the side, right?
Person: Oh. Alright. How about you though? Could you make me some cutlery..?
Sheffield Breeds Success For Copywriters
Of course, this 'manly man' stigma can work to my advantage in two ways:
- Other Sheffield folk are so worried of shaking off the stigma they don't bother with the copywriting industry (meaning less competition)
- Clients will be afraid to get on the wrong side of a Yorkshireman and pay double
Either works for me :-)