Billie Kelpin profile image 89

What steps should be taken if you think you might be named in a will?

What if a relative has died and no one tells you whether or not you are named in the will? If you find a court record of a probate case online with a "final date to file claims," an "Inventory Due Date," and an "Eighteen Month Closing Date," what does that all mean and what happens next? All in all, what are the steps if you're uninformed as to whether or not you are in a relative's will and that person has passed away recently?

john000 profile image91

Best Answer John R Wilsdon (john000) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

John, thank you so much! You've provided very thorough information. I appreciate it greatly. I'll call the court tomorrow and see if my name is mentioned. I'm embarrassed to ask the lawyer, but if the court can't tell me, maybe I will.

Express10 profile image87

H C Palting (Express10) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Express10, Thank you! I had no idea of this could be complicated. I don't want to ask my relative since it would seem too presumptuous of me and disrespectful. I typed in the deceased relative's name and county and DID see that there is a case #.

Lizam1 profile image81

Lizam1 says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

We DID move, so that's a good suggestion. Thanks Lizam1 !

KawikaChann profile image89

KawikaChann says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 4 years ago

Thanks so much Kawi. Yes, I am uncomfortable talking with the family (and they're MY family). But I loved the person who died and don't want to diminish that relationship by asking.