jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Would you pay for a very expensive procedure/surgery for a pet over the age of 1

1. kikibruce profile image88
    kikibruceposted 5 years ago

Would you pay for a very expensive procedure/surgery for a pet over the age of 16?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

It would depend on the situation and prognosis of course, but at a certain age I would probably do my best to just keep them comfortable.  It's not an enviable position to be in for sure.  I know how much it hurts to lose a pet that has grown old, but unless the procedure is going to greatly prolong or radically improve the quality of life, why put the pet through the stress of surgery?

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

No. I would have to put them down if they were that ill and in misery. A pet that old probably would not survive surgery and at that age, their days are numbered. But, I can understand those that would do this.  Losing a pet is one of the worst things in the world.

1. kikibruce profile image88
      kikibruceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well she has a thyroid issue that I can control with meds but she has a "mass" in her intestine area, I can't afford a sonogram, much less surgery. So I feel as long as she wants to eat and drink and doesn't become too weak I will keep an eye out.

4. CroftRoan profile image81
    CroftRoanposted 5 years ago

It depends on the procedure and how successful it would be at the pets' age. If it's organ failure like what I cat had then I would just take her home and stay with her until she passed. I feel it's best if they spend their last moments at home rather than in a vet clinic.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, I think surgery on an animal that old would be cruel. Surgery is hard on any kind of body so no, I wouldn't out them through that.

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not really. None of my pets have ever been in that situation and I'm kind of money conscious.

7. Sunny2o0o profile image73
    Sunny2o0oposted 5 years ago

Unless it was for something simple (which is unlikely if it is expensive), no. Older dogs are less likely to have a good recovery after surgery.  It also probably wouldn't improve their quality of life very much, and could very possibly decrease it.

I would prefer to allow my dog to enjoy the time he/she has left or, baring that, put him/her down if he/she is suffering too much.

All living things have their time and something we have to accept as dog owners is that, no matter how wonderful they are or how much we love them, dogs don't live as long as we do.  Sometimes the kindest thing you can do is to let them go, or let nature take its course.