How to Save Money on Gasoline II
Saving at the Pump
Luckily, gasoline prices have hovered around $2.25 - $2.50 a gallon nationally over the past year. However, gas prices are unpredictable, and it is still important to find ways to reduce our gasoline consumption and find savings where savings are to be had. The purpose of this hub is to help lower the monthly gas bill to give you more money to save, invest, or room in your budget for other expenses. I realize that not all of these tips will be implemented by one single driver, but I wanted to offer a number of gas saving tips that are maybe a little different than what you've normally seen in an article about saving money at the pump. I aim to give you some resources to explore and even develop your own saving tips if you so desire. This hub is a deeper list from my original gas saving hub How to Save Money on Gasoline. These gas saving hubs are a sort of a spin off of my original hubs, How to Effectively Save Money and More Ways to Effectively Save Money, because of the numerous questions I received from hubbers about saving money on higher fuel costs. Let's begin!
Ten More Tips for Saving Money on Gasoline
1.Enroll in the Plenti rewards program. This program has been invaluable to me in saving anywhere from $10-20 a month on gasoline at all Exxon gas stations. If you have an AT&T wireless bill, you can link that payment and save another few bucks per month as well. Visit the Plenti link above to get the full details on this free rewards program.
2. Replace your Air Filter. A new air filter costs less than $10 and can improve gas mileage by as much as 3 -9%. That should give you savings of roughly $25 -$75 annually.
3. Use the Air Conditioner sparingly. A/C use can reduce fuel economy by upwards of 15% depending on driving conditions. If you are traveling at highway speeds, the wind drag from the windows rolled down is actually more inefficient than using the air conditioner. Therefore, keep the A/C on at these higher speeds.
4. Set your cruise control at a lower speed. Just because the speed limit is 75 doesn't mean the cruise needs to be set at that level or higher. Setting the cruise just below 70 can reap significant savings at the pump. Plus, you will be filling up more frequently if you are traveling at these high speeds which will negate the time savings because you will be at the pump refueling more often.
5. Choose a smaller, fuel efficient car for longer trips. I would even suggest renting a car for a long road trip if the only vehicles you own get less than 20 miles per gallon. The fuel savings and depreciation from the added mileage will be worth it to keep your personal vehicle at home.
6. Don't use Higher Octane Gasoline unless your vehicle specifically requires it. Your vehicle will not perform better or get better gas mileage but using a higher grade of gas unless the owner's manual specifically requires it. Typically, the only vehicles that require premium gas are luxury brand vehicles such as Lexus, Audi, and BMW.
7. Avoid Gas Stations Directly Along Freeway Exits. The most convenient gas is usually the most expensive gas. Gasoline is usually cheaper by 5-10 cents a gallon if you venture a quarter mile further off the exit.
8. Use alternate routes that are shorter or have less traffic lights. Cars generally get better fuel economy on routes where a consistent speed is maintained without stopping even if the distance is slightly longer.
9. If you drive a truck, drop your tailgate. This is basic aerodynamics. If the tailgate is down, there is less resistance and the vehicle can cut through the air more efficiently.
10. Use your garage to store your vehicle. In both the winter and the summer, your vehicle will maintain a more consistent temperature so that the air conditioner and heater won't need to be run as much. Also, the engine will get to optimal operating temperature when it has been in a garage the previous night.
Have you or will you ever implement these gas saving techniques to your daily life?
More General Money Saving Tips
- How to Save Money on Gasoline
Here are 12 new ways to lower your monthly gasoline expense. These tips will make the most of every drop of gas in your tank.
- How to Effectively Save Money
Finding ways to make some extra cash on top of your regular income is not as difficult as it seems. Here are 20 ideas that will provide you with a substantial side income when the going gets tough. Embark on this project of 100 eventual money saving
- How to Effectively Save Money II
Here is a deeper list of tips to line your pockets with some extra cash each week. These tips are part of my larger project to create 100 money saving tips. These practical tips can easily provide you with an extra $500.
Fuel Economy Devices For Your Vehicle
© 2011 tylermj23