ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to Get a Tax Break on Your Home Office Writing Articles On HubPages

Updated on February 19, 2011

expenses can pile up

Tax advantages from home publishing

Do you write articles on HubPages or another publishing outlet? Did you know that by doing this you can actually take a significant tax break on your home office? If you are making any money at all from your articles you can. It’s a legitimate tax break that you can take advantage of, it’s nothing illegal and can save you hundreds, if not more on your income taxes.

First things first. You need to set aside a portion of your home dedicated to be a home office. It doesn’t matter if it’s your bedroom, kitchen table or an actual office. This space will be used to calculate the amount of square footage used for your write off.

Then we need a business license.  You can go to your local county planning office and obtain a license for a nominal fee. Usually it will run you about fifty dollars for a simple license where you don’t have any employees and don’t collect sales taxes. You can make up a name for your business, it really is that easy. You can use your name, stick enterprises to the end of it and there you have it.

Now that you are officially a small business you can start deducting all types of related expenses. I would suggest keeping file folders for every month for record keeping. The following is just a small list of things that you can write off:

1.       Any office supplies, paper, ink toner, staples, file folders, and postage.

2.       Computers accessories and equipment

3.       Internet service, (this is often overlooked)

4.       Dedicated space use as your office

5.        Your business license

If you do any research for an article that requires you to use your car, keep up with the mileage. Right now the IRS allows you to deduct fifty cent a mile for business use.

If you do research by watching a documentary on television, make note, you can actually take off part or all of your satellite or cable bill.

Cell phones and home phones bills can also be deducted if you a portion of them to help your business.

Now, make sure you keep accurate records. You want to be able to provide documentation in case of an audit.  But what I have shown you is 100% legal and can work for everyone. You will have to show an income, no matter how small to do this, but it is well worth it in most cases.

To find out what other kinds of deductions you will be entitled to please seek the advice of a professional tax person or CPA. This article is just meant to inform of your rights to take deductions that you are allowed to take. Each local and city municipality may have different fees and requirement, so check with them for any particulars that they may require.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Jeff May profile image

      Jeffrey Penn May 

      7 years ago from St. Louis

      Some good advice, and according to my accountant, you must show a profit every three years or it's considered a hobby and not a business.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)