Free iPhone Apps: Find Local Garage Sales
Looking for a garage sale in your area? Or better yet, do you want to plan a day of bargains?
There are many iPhone apps that will help you find local yard sales. Here are three free apps that all help in finding the sales you want, along with planning routes and directions. All of these apps are FREE and are available at the iTunes App Store.
- Tips for Having a Successful Yard Sale
Want to host a successful yard sale? Advertise on Craigslist and follow these tips!
Features of Garage Sale Finder Apps
All three of these applications (along with most other garage sale location apps) utilize advertisements from Craigslist in order to locate garage sales. While some sales may be missing, Craigslist is a very popular location to advertise garage sales.
All three apps also have the following features in common:
- View sales in list form or as pins on a map
- Provide mapped routes and turn-by-turn directions to sale locations
- Search for sales being held on a specific day of the week
- Search for sales within a given radius (miles) of your current location or select a specific number of sales to display
Yard Sale Mapper Screen DetailsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Yard Sale Mapper
The Yard Sale Mapper app incorporates an easy to use interface with access to a lot of detail about each sale.
- Mark sales as "Favorites" and show all sales or just Favorites
- Select day of the week to search (one day at a time)
- Search Radius is 5, 10, 20, or 30 miles from specified location. App has a pop-up that tells you how many sales were found when you select a Search Radius, allowing you to expand your search if there aren't enough.
- Touch the pin on the map to view Details (full advertisement), Street View (picture of the location) and the Source (original location of the advertisement)
- Link directly to the ad in Craigslist
- List view shows only sales marked as Favorites.
- Search Favorites for specific items advertised in sales.
This is a very simple app that provides a lot of features for its free price. I like that I can save my favorite sales and see a list of those sales for easy planning. I also like that I can easily locate the full advertisement and search my saved sales for specific items. I do wish, however, that it had route planning capabilities, and that I could search all sales, not just the ones I've already selected.
Garage Sale Finder ScreensClick thumbnail to view full-size
Garage Sale Finder
The Garage Sale Finder app has fewer features than the other two apps reviewed here. However, it does provide access to local sales and maps. If that is all that you need, this app may still work for you.
- Uses a slider to select the search radius (from 10 to 50 miles in one-mile increments)
- Select the day of the week from an unlabeled drop-down menu in List view
- You can't do much from Map view; most options are in the List view only.
- You can view the full advertisement with a URL of the source listed, but the URL is not clickable
- "Get Directions" brings you to a map. The turn-by-turn directions option places everything in a small font on the screen (no navigation, just a list of directions).
Had I not seen other Garage Sale Locator apps, I might have been satisfied with this one. However, other free apps offer these features and much more. I am not likely to use this one.
Garage Sale Rover ScreensClick thumbnail to view full-size
Garage Sale Rover
The Garage Sale Rover app is definitely the most comprehensive free app I have found for locating garage sales. Once you get used to the somewhat frightening faces on the pins, you will see that this app is more than meets the eye.
- The map view contains different colored pins for garage sales, estate sales/auctions, saved or deleted sales, thrift stores, and searched sales.
- List view only shows sales you have saved. Change the order using the arrows so that the list is in the order that you want to shop.
- Change the number of sales to display on the map (50, 75, or 100).
- There is no search radius (only number of local sales), and you can't use any location other than your current location.
- Search for items that are being sold using the search feature (searches the text of the advertisements).
- Tap a pin on the map to get more information. Click the house to see the street view of the location, the info button to see the advertisement at the source.
- Email the sale information to other people using the envelope icon, or save the sale for use in list view.
- Easy access to app support. Links to FAQs, troubleshooting, and even an email address and phone number. You can also access the one minute tutorial video (see below)!
- You can't use the route optimization feature with the free version of this app, but you can change the order of the saved sales in your list.
This app blew me away with its attention to detail and its desire to please. From the video tutorial to the sale differentiation to the search and route capabilities, this is by far the best free garage sale locator app I've seen, and my new tool for bargain shopping!