- Personal Finance
Save Money during the Holidays
If you are tired to start the New Year with a pile of debt you should shop smart, and you can enjoy the holidays without putting yourself in the poor house. In this article I will share with you some of the most important tips to help you make the most of your time and money:
- You should decide how much you can spend during holidays. Instead of coming up with a list of people that you want to buy gifts for you should set up a holiday budget before you go near a store. One of the biggest mistakes that people are making is to overlook the little extras when they draft a budget. You have to include everything from postage for Christmas to holiday party favors and home decoration.
- Another tip is to use cash only. If you know that you had problems in the past by spending too much during holidays and you used your credit card too much you should try to do cash- only Christmas. The plan is that you set a limit and you take the money out of your credit union or bank, after that when the money’s gone your holiday shopping is over.
- A good advice is to allow enough time for your holiday preparations. It happened to many people that they run out for a gift at the last minute and they ended up paying top dollar for it. So you must organize your time well enough and you will save a lot of money.
- Send e- cards. It is a good way to catch up with your far- flung friends and family and it is free. They don’t require postage and, as you may know, nobody has to wash their hands after opening them.
- Shop for weddings at Christmas. Even if your big day is far away, holidays are a great opportunity to get a deal on your bridal gowns and your bridesmaids’ dresses. Manny specialists are saying that this is the slowest time of the year for bridal apparel shops and no one goes shopping for wedding dresses in November or December.
- Take a vacation. During holidays it is a good time to go on a cruise or to travel around the world. Manny people are saying that resorts and cruise ships are hurting for business which makes this a great time for a luxury getaway.