- Personal Finance»
- Family Budget
simple ways to make Chrisymas less expensive
Simple Ways to Make Christmas Less Expensive
By Deborah Feit
Christmas doesn't have to put you in debt for the rest of the year.
Here are some simple tips on how to make Christmas less expensive and more fun.
1) Kids love to make things. So take last years Christmas cards and make tree ornaments. Dig out the popcorn and make strings for the tree. You can make paper chains for the tree. Shinny gift wrap will make a beautiful tree top.
2) Second hand stores usually carry a large assortment of Christmas decorations. You can get ornaments, lights, stockings and if your real lucky you can find one of a kind heirloom ornaments.
3) Decorate your house with streamers, stick on bows, and Christmas cards. Get the kids to do pictures and build snowmen from empty toilet paper rolls. Try to be creative with the things you have in your home.
4) Home made gifts are much more personal than store bought. If you have any skills like knitting or crocheting, then by all means do it. Gloves, scarves, mittens, or even an afghan are a wonderful gift. You can make candles, soap, Potpourri, jewelry, fake flower bouquets, gifts baskets. fancy cups with assorted tea or coffee.
5) If you are good in the kitchen there are a lot of things you can do. They are called gifts in a jar, they have all the ingredients to make cookies or cakes in a fancy jar and they just bake their own gift. You can bake cookies and cakes, and candies, the kids love to help with this kind of gift.
6) There are also the service gifts. Give coupons for back rubs, breakfast in bed, being a walk partner, oil changes, Hair cuts, romantic dinners at home. If someone knits buy them wool, etc. Last but not least people love to get lottery tickets, if they win they might even share with you.
7) You can also be creative with Christmas wrapping. All the stores are selling bright cheer bags for carrying you purchases for about a dollar. These bags make wonderful gift wrap and they can be used after Christmas. You can wrap gifts in towels, tea towels, dish cloths. you can wrap you gifts in anything you want and the nice part is that it adds that personal touch.
8) Christmas dinner is a little harder to skimp on but it is not really necessary. Left overs for the next few days more than makes up for the expense.
What it all comes down to is be creative and think outside the box.
Make Christmas fun again.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Deborah_Feit